Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM
pointblank
Tourer
Received 200 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Oil leak

Have not had a post in a long time so here it goes...
I have a oil leak and I know it's not the oil pan because I changed that gasket and the front engine mount grommet.
Could it becoming out of picture #2 that round plug (not sure what that is)?
It seems to be front left.
If it is that plug....what is it and does it just pop out and maybe there's a o-ring????
2003 rk

Old 05-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

It appears to be leaking from the stator plug. I wouldn't do anything about it.

I surely wouldn't throw a good stator in the trash to fix it. If you really want to, pull the outer primary, comp/clutch basket & rotor. Then clean the rubber gromet inside and out with brake clean. Dry it off, seal it with high temp oil resistant rtv on the inside and outside. Let it dry and reassemble. Fill the primary and call it good.

If you chase every weep, seep or leak on a 15 year old Harley you're gonna have a skinny wallet and no time to ride. I have a friend who's dad is 96 that has prostate cancer. He'll be 131 before it kills him. That leak is a lot like that.

More important than that are those 15 year old spring cam chain tensioners if they haven't been replaced. Miles don't matter at this point, they get brittle with age. That's where I'd turn my attention.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-04-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like the stator plug leaking.
Some try a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner or contact cleaner to try and get all the oil off the plug and case, then use black “flowing” type of RTV. Others say if the plug doesn’t come out (I don’t think yours does), stator replacement is needed to stop the leak. $$$.$$
You can google search your trouble and see what others have done to try to remedy it.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I’d replace the stator.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Mr. Mike has it correct. Clean it up real good and use the right RTV. I wouldn’t chase it until the fall and then you’ve got a winter project.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This is really common. Clean it up and seal the plug with black RTV. If your charging system is working its crazy (and kind of expensive) to tear it apart.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by BB59
This is really common. Clean it up and seal the plug with black RTV. If your charging system is working its crazy (and kind of expensive) to tear it apart.
Worked for me.....

Old 05-05-2018, 06:11 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,577 Likes on 2,515 Posts

As BB59 suggested, clean with brake kleen real good, us a pick and gently pull up the grommet and clean under it as well, Use black RTV gasket maker, put a thin bead under the grommet, push the grommet down and use your finger to run the gasket maker around the top of the grommet. I did mine some time ago and it still holding strong. Key is get it real clean.

rk classic.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

The saying is, 'fix it right and fix it once'.

The RTV route is a fix. However, consider the difficulty in checking the primary oil levels, not to mention the safety concern of possible oil spray on the rear wheel. If ur planning any serious road trips, peace of mind is priceless.

My theory is that excessive heat destroys the seal.

Asinine how HD designed this!

Old 05-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

My 01 has been leaking from stator for a few years. I happen to have another on my shelf. Every fall I say that winter I will replace stator and belt and go through everything. I didn't this winter.

This is nothing uniique to touring bikes. Dynas and softails also have a twin cam engine.

Quick Reply: Oil leak