Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynojet PCV and Altitude?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynojet PCV and Altitude?

Having had a carberated dirt bike in California and moving to Colorado (5500 ft) I understand the concept of rejetting for altitude, but were talking about modern fuel-injected bikes here.

I was at the Stealer getting my 1k service done and one of the shop guys mentioned the SE-254 cams. I stated that I was aware of them and may do cams (in general) after my 2yr warranty is up. But we started talking price for cam install and they wanted to (of course) sell me on the HD tuner. I stated that I was probably going to do the $300 PCV, as I had no intention of ever going beyond a Stage 2 upgrade (full system exhaust, a/c, and cams). Then they started preaching to me all the reasons why the HD tuner is better. But two points were stressed the most (1) its not a Piggy Back system, but rather reflashes the computer (I knew that), and (2) its better becasue you can adjust for altitude.

OK I sorta buy the altitude point, but then started thinking that adjusting for altitute would really only make a big difference if All or Most of your riding was at the same/similar altitude. Since I live at 5500 ft, I would think that a 5500 ft tune would be ideal for 4500 ft to 6500 ft, similar to rejetting a carberated bike. However, the altitude points falls short for us Colorado riders who live at 5500 ft and like to ride in the Rockies 6000 ft to 12000 ft or more.

I've ridden my sport bike into the Rockies and despite a little added lack of performance, it rode fine. Therefore, I think worrying about tuning a modified fuel-injected bike for altitude is pretty much a waste mental engery unless you're Racing a bike at a particular altitude. Hence I think the PCV is fine for my needs. Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.....

Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have problems with the PCV unless you change the maps depending on what altitude you ride. The o2 sensors are bypassed and it has no way to adjust for the thinner air when your up high or richen the AFR when you ride close to sea level. The PCV with the auto tuner will in fact do this but you bike already has this capability with the stock ECM and it will be cheaper to buy the SEPST than to buy the PCV with the auto tune. My vote is for the Super tuner from HD

Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

mines been from sea level to 5,000 feet and i couldnt notice a difference in the way it ran.power commander gets my vote.if u cant get past eliminating the 02 sensors then tts mastertune would be they way to go.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My '07 with a PC-III & no 02 sensors gets about 40 mpg here at sea level, but up around the 8000 ft. level I got over 50 mpg without any real loss of performance, & I always get better mileage as I increase altitude. I didn't have to "re-tune for altitude". Sounds more like "sales talk" than real information.........<shrug>

Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

You will not have any problems riding a PC-V equipped bike at different altitudes. The Delphi EFI is a speed density system, the MAP sensor along with the IAT are the key elements the ECM uses to determine the air mass entering the engine and more importantly commanded fuel requirements (PC-V is basically a +/- correction for this function). O2 sensors on the other hand have no command function at all, they serve as a control function which are used to help maintain what is written in the AFR/Lambda table in the calibration.

Either way you look at this, it really comes down to having an accurate calibration or PC-V map and while you cannot put oxygen back in the air at higher altitudes to make the same power as lower ones the system can compensate properly for these changes so it runs properly

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

If you are looking for a ECM flash tuner along with a wide range adjustabilty and maps I would take a look at the Dynojet Power Vision

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for clarifying this Jaime. As I suspected, the PCV you sell appears to meet my simple Stage 1/2 needs, even here in Colorado. I know the Power Vision would be the best way to go, but its capabilites are beyond my wants/needs. I'll be placing an order for your PCV in about a week.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Jamie, is there a problem with Fuelmoto emails? I can't seem to get tracking info. I ordered a PV last week.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Justintime
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hover
Jamie, is there a problem with Fuelmoto emails? I can't seem to get tracking info. I ordered a PV last week.
E-mails seem to take two or three days to get answered but they answer the phone every time and you get to talk to a real person. FM customer service is excellent!

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justintime
E-mails seem to take two or three days to get answered but they answer the phone every time and you get to talk to a real person. FM customer service is excellent!
I guess I better call em, this is more than 2-3 days...I just want to confirm the PV was shipped...yes they are real good guys to talk to in person, not pushy like some, but willing to listen.

Quick Reply: Dynojet PCV and Altitude?