Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason I couldn't use this in my cig lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Any reason I couldn't use this in my cig lighter?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Ciga.../dp/B0018NB3OK

Do you know of any reasons I couldn't plug this into my cig lighter on my 2011 Street Glide and hide it in a windshield bag or something?

I have this three way adapter in my car already and like the fact it has a USB port. I could charge my iPhone (USB port), a friends cell phone (cig plug), my GPS (second cig plug), etc...

I could also hide it under the fairing and just run some wires out. I do believe that anything attached to this would drain the battery (cig lighter doesn't shut off when bike is off?) and the accessory switch is the best option, but still...

Would this work just fine as long as the plug doesn't hit the gas tank?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:11 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Typically the portion that goes into you cirlighter plug sticks out to far if you turn your front wheel far left it will dig into the gas tank.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by prostar
Typically the portion that goes into you cirlighter plug sticks out to far if you turn your front wheel far left it will dig into the gas tank.
Yeah, I actually tried my regular Garmin adapter last night into the Street Glide cig lighter and it's definitely too big. That's an extremely tight fit with the wheel turned left.

The part that plugs into the sig lighter on that three way adapter I have (at the link above) has a much smaller "right angle" plug that MIGHT fit well. I haven't tried it yet, but that got me wondering about using a three adapter like that and whether or not there's anything wrong with that. I'm guessing if it fits, there are no problems?

The USB feature is particularly nice.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Actually, something small like this may work too. Then use a USB cable to power the GPS and/or charge my iPhone. Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iPHONE-4-A...item43a552bb19

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

SAMs club has that little one in a nice kit. Extra wall charger charging cord with the USB end and a couple other things for $29. Thought about one mysel.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
SAMs club has that little one in a nice kit. Extra wall charger charging cord with the USB end and a couple other things for $29. Thought about one mysel.
I just saw that my local Best Buy has those mini cig lighter to USB adapters for $15.00 or so. I may get one after work to see if it will fit without hitting the tank. If it does, I think that's a killer option!

I'll report back.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Actually, something small like this may work too. Then use a USB cable to power the GPS and/or charge my iPhone. Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iPHONE-4-A...item43a552bb19

The one posted here will work, as I am using something similar.
The one you posted in your first link will hit the tank, so be careful with anything like that.

Also If I remember correctly, that socket is NOT hot unless the ignition is switched on or to accessory.
It's not hot all the time like in your car.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
The one posted here will work, as I am using something similar.
The one you posted in your first link will hit the tank, so be careful with anything like that.

Also If I remember correctly, that socket is NOT hot unless the ignition is switched on or to accessory.
It's not hot all the time like in your car.
You can buy one very similar at Office Depot for $5 and you are correct, the lighter is only hot when the ign or acc is on.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is exactly what you are asking but........there are several options.

1. Mount an extra hot point/lighter under the faring and then your multiple to it (under the faring of course). This is what I did for my XM and it works like a charm, there is an unused switched line under the faring that I used.

2. I've seen a three way hot point that you can mount in the saddle bags, sorry I don't remember where I saw them.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried something similar but cut the lighter plug off and wired it straight in to a switched live connection inside the fairing. What I did find was the the USB connection was quite flaky and my iPhone didn't get on with it. I assumed it was because a bike supply is probably a bit rougher than a car supply so I abandoned the idea. Could have just been a rubbish adaptor but it was quite expensive.

Quick Reply: Any reason I couldn't use this in my cig lighter?