Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
I have them on my 2010 Limited with lowers. Took some left over auto rubber door trim that had self adheasive tape on one side and stuck that on the deflectors to fill in the gap between the forks and the deflectors. Also put a small piece on the inside back edge where the left deflector comes real close to touching the left lower when locking the forks, to protect the painted lower just in case it would touch.
The deflectors work great in reducing the wind, your music and exhaust sound better with the deflectors on, and if your also running with hard lowers you'll find that they provide an additional benefit of reducing the rain water on your legs, you'll find that you won't need to stop to put your rain pants on. With my old Roadking (that did not have hard lowers or fork air deflectors) from my knees down would be soaked by the time I'd find a place to safely stop. I hate putting on rain pants on the side on the road.
Which ones did you use? I'd like a set on my limited. They worked great on my Heritage. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dooz28
Has anyone tried the Kuryakyn Fork Mounted Variable Wind Deflectors on an Electra Glide yet? I have the H-D Chrome fork mount deflectors on my 2009 FLHT and like them a lot, but using them results in a lot of engine heat in the summer. The Kuryakyns have vents that open and close. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds. Any info would be appreciated.
I thought the HD fork mounted deflectors were the ugliest piece of chrome you could mount on an EG but Kuryakyn made something looking even worse. Yuk!

Last edited by frenchbiker; 03-27-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they may look ugly, but they work great...I did a lot of experiments on my old pan and ended up building some for it, and then for my wifes sportster... On my new 2009 EGC with the fork deflectors on I can ride with a 8 inch windshield and a ball cap will not even think of coming off my head at 75...............So far it is the only way I can find to lessen the buffeting....If someone has a better idea, I am all ears...

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dstrat1
Well they may look ugly, but they work great...I did a lot of experiments on my old pan and ended up building some for it, and then for my wifes sportster... On my new 2009 EGC with the fork deflectors on I can ride with a 8 inch windshield and a ball cap will not even think of coming off my head at 75...............So far it is the only way I can find to lessen the buffeting....If someone has a better idea, I am all ears...
Two friends have them on their 2009 Ultras and they both swear by them. I just don't like how they look. I'm surprised than nobody offers a better solution, something like smoked lexan like the fairing deflectors, for example.
Freedom Wings, are you listening?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the number of batwings out there, if some one did a flow test and found a solution to the buffeting, they would make a fortune.....

Old 03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fredom wings plus are a start but don't drop down very far. I just put them on but haven't ridden over 50 miles with them yet.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Two friends have them on their 2009 Ultras and they both swear by them. I just don't like how they look. I'm surprised than nobody offers a better solution, something like smoked lexan like the fairing deflectors, for example.
Freedom Wings, are you listening?
search my user name . I have done lexan fork mounted wind deflectors. I made a set years ago for my honda shadow and i tried them or a version of them on my glide classic and they really do work. I took mine off last summer and in october I realized id wished they were back on for the cold color tour ride .. Mine were clear but smoke is just as easy to make . I never had a chance to try them on an ultra but they flex enough that I dont think they would hurt the lowers but they would hit them at times. I also didnt have a street glide available to try to work up a pattern for them.. Maybe now that I have a job again I should work on the equipment I need to start making these? at one time I offered a set for someone to try but no one took me up on it ! I can find my pics again if there is some interest and we can go from there. I know how to make them but id have to buy the material and the equipment i need but before I lay out the cash Id like input on if its a worth while move.. To the forum moderators this is once again just a check to see if there is interest . If there is I will not sell or try to sell on this board till I have everything cleared with you . I sure dont want to make anyone mad . If we have enough interest I will take it to a higher level .

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
The fredom wings plus are a start but don't drop down very far. I just put them on but haven't ridden over 50 miles with them yet.
You're right. I have the FW+ too and they're doing a decent job but they don't block as much air as I'd like.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
98Ultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You're right. I have the FW+ too and they're doing a decent job but they don't block as much air as I'd like.
The really odd thing is, when I had my 98 Ultra, I had much less wind and rain getting through. Now on my 08, I get much, much more.
I could ride the 98 in a light rain and the outside of my left foot got wet. My knees stayed dry.
On the 08, my knees get soaked.

Ten years newer/later, you would think it would be the other way around.

Quick Reply: wind deflectors