Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06-07 Harman Kardon Radio Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 06-07 Harman Kardon Radio Troubles

After riding in the rain for several hours yesterday, the display on my HK Radio is blank. It still is red, but I can't see anything on the screen. Has anyone else experienced this? It almost seems like the contrast needs to be adjusted, but I can't see the screen to know where I need to adjust it. Is there a way to set it back to factory default so I can see what is on the screen? Other than the display, every this seems to be in good working order (CB, WB, FM, Intercom, AUX etc.)

Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 06-07 Harman Kardon Radio Troubles

I think you diagnosed your own problem. Those radios don't like water. Give it a few days to dry out and see if it doesn't correct itself.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Thunderbolts
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 radio did the same thing. Dealer ordered a new one. That is the fix. The rain should not matter to that radio. Early August I rode through 3 days of rain with the new radio and no problems.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I rode thru almost the entire state of Iowa in the rain which included heavy rain and never had a single issue. My friend who also was with me and also has a SG had no issues. Wierd I guess, some have problems and some don't.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my new Harmon Kardon installed on my '06 SG this morning...the display was freezing up and the controls would not work.

While they were repalcing the radio they noticed that I had two more broken brackets (both upper fairing brackets broke a couple of months ago), these bracket run horizontly and terminate at the lower outboard speaker screw.

They said that they've seen this a few times before on the StreetGlide model? They replaced them under warranty.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
HEYENG
Cruiser

I rode for 2 days in the rain this summer no problems with water but i have always had a problem with my radio giong into full static volume the only way to fix is turn radio off for 30 seconds the back on works for a while then it will happen agian at no set interval 3 HD Dealers and no one can figure it out is there a site to ask Harley for help

Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had two reman radios, and finally a new one before HD was able to fix the problems with my HK. Wouldn't play the CD's.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM
twohats
Cruiser

lost my display once and found out that I dimmmed the screen somehow and bought it back.Nut I have also had moisture behind the display and had dlr repalce it,Washed the bike and I covered the radio and still got a little moisture in the display and thats been two months ago.Just gonna live with it now....

Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

i am getting my third pos stereo tomorrow, the display did like yours then the radio quit, the other ones the cd player quit

Old 10-17-2006, 10:18 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeap,exact same thing happened. Dealer got me a new one!!

Quick Reply: 06-07 Harman Kardon Radio Troubles