Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Wash Bikes With Fairing/Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to Wash Bikes With Fairing/Speakers?

When I wash my Softail Custom, I go to the car wash, spray it with S-100, then blast it with the high pressure wand (avoiding intake, electrical connectors, etc.). Never had a problem.

I now have a 2011 Street Glide with a fairing, radio & speakers. I'd like to continue using the car wash/S-100 method, but am concerned for the radio & speakers. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I spray them too. They are weatherproof. Been doing it for 2 years and nary a problem.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

spray er' down, won't hurt it a bit. I wouldn't concentrate the spray on the radio or speakers but water won't hurt it, they're made to take it! Some guys say they don't use water but how do you get a dirty bike clean without it?? I always spray down my bikes and never had one single issue. I use S-100 as well, isn't it the bomb!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wash my SG at the car wash all the time, NEVER spay the water to the inner fairing, throttle body,air cleaner or wheel bearings. have not had a problem yet. Use common sense when using high pressure water and you will be fine.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a watering wand at home.

Attached Thumbnails How to Wash Bikes With Fairing/Speakers?-36-454th.jpg  
Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Rossi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understood what I've read, the speakers are marine grade, like you see in boats, and it doesnt seem to hurt em when they get wet out on the road. Like the rest here said, just use common sense. And while I'm here, I've been trying to find out more on the S100 stuff. I use to use the Mr. Clean Auto wash stuff, it was great, but out of manufacture now. whats the deal from you guys that use the S100. Is it that good?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallyman
spray er' down, won't hurt it a bit. I wouldn't concentrate the spray on the radio or speakers but water won't hurt it, they're made to take it! Some guys say they don't use water but how do you get a dirty bike clean without it?? I always spray down my bikes and never had one single issue. I use S-100 as well, isn't it the bomb!

So, spray the S-100 directly on the inside fairing/gauges/speakers and blast away with the wand?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I dont try to spray the inner fairing directly.Enough water splashes on it just from spraying the tank.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you "blast away" with high pressure on any area of a bike? That's just dumb. An easy rinse wont hurt a thing concerning the fairing or speakers. Afterall, this is a motor vehicle designed for all weather use.

Also, S100 strips wax.
The Mr. Clean Car Wash kit is available again in a new version too.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I never use high perssure, but turn my hose directly to the fairing, inside and out. The speakers are made for exterior use. I have also ridden in rainstorms that soaked it all down with no problems. Soap it up and rinse it down like the rest of the bike.
And the wheel bearings are sealed - no water issues here.

Quick Reply: How to Wash Bikes With Fairing/Speakers?