Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood Road King Dash Insert, Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wood Road King Dash Insert, Am I Crazy?

I've been looking all around for a road king dash insert that just says I have to have it. Still haven't found anything I like, and this wild idea just popped into my head. Wooden dash on a road king, the white walls, on a black bike of course. I don't know if it is even do-able or already been done. I was thinking of a look something like this. Let me know if you think it could work??

Attached Thumbnails Wood Road King Dash Insert, Am I Crazy?-f-100-bed.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup-- It can work -- And I'm the man to make it for you...

Looky here for some samples I've done on other wood parts...Shoot me a PM if you want to chat..

Clicky For Cujo's Wood Shop

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must say mr cujo you sir have one helluva talent there... dont see to much word working now a days, last of a dyin breed in my opnion... just checked your picasa photos and jobs well done...will deffinately be hittin you up in the future for a few knick knacks...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aktid35
I've been looking all around for a road king dash insert that just says I have to have it. Still haven't found anything I like, and this wild idea just popped into my head. Wooden dash on a road king, the white walls, on a black bike of course. I don't know if it is even do-able or already been done. I was thinking of a look something like this. Let me know if you think it could work??
HD used to sell a whole line of these things but nothing in wood trim. You could get colors and different textures but they only have those few left in the line. Cujo may have another customer if I see what he can do for you.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice work.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Imagine that, a "woody Harley". What kind of treatment do you use on the wood to protect it from the elements? Do you work with any exotic woods?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Thanks for the atta boys fellas.--- Your encouragement helps a lot.
I have a wicked passion for woodworking and try to make a little something better every day.
I just finished another timing cover today from Birdseye Maple. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

@ Sanlyn
There are tons of good weather protectors -- It really depends on what is wanted as an end result.
Most things I'm using just ridiculous amounts of clear lacquer to give a huge shine along with great weather protection and easy maintenance, and to let the natural tones of the wood come through. I happen to think that one of the most beautiful things that God has created is wood, and I regularly find myself looking at bits of trees and wondering what is waiting inside to be let out..

My air cleaner cover has a lightly tinted oil stain to help the burl and feather stand out, with about 6 coats of clear polyurethane for protection.
The dark pirate timing cover is made from Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) and is finished with 6 coats of clear lacquer, The Black Sheep cover has over 15 coats of clear lacquer (I stopped counting)

The stuff I make for indoors I usually seal with a healthy wood wax and buff, sometimes adding a tint or toner to show off some of the nifty wood characteristics.

I totally dig working with exotics - Foreign and domestic..some not so exotic, but some pretty cool..
Right now I have some Birdseye Maple, a small stack of the Burled Cypress, Red Oak, Walnut, Poplar, black and white Ebony, more Ipe, and some other stuff... I just picked up a HUGE trunk of oak with about 6 main lines shooting out of it, but it might take a year or so before it dries to anything usable. I'm thinking that it might make a wicked cool table....

I am working on a derby cover and the RK dash right now...
Any one want to commission a piece ? <grin>

Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 AM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would you charge for a RK dash insert?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by rdb1976
How much would you charge for a RK dash insert?

Depends on the species, but figure a starting point of $95

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good looking work you do Mr Cujo. You Da Man!! Now I have another project for my scoot. I really need to stay away from here, it's getting expen$ive. LOL.

Quick Reply: Wood Road King Dash Insert, Am I Crazy?