Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller Compensator Sprocket vs Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller Compensator Sprocket vs Cams

My goal is to get a bit more bottom end (ok to lose "some" topend). I had been thinking about 255 cams, but lately have been thinking about going down a couple of teeth on the front compensator sprocket. I have heard though, that you can't get a smaller front primary sprocket and still retain a compensator on a 2009 model?? Any ideas here? My bike has rinehart slip ons, screamin eagle air cleaner and hd remap. Just thinking that a simple sprocket change should give a similar "seat of the pants" improvement as cams do, with a lot less work and $$.

Thanks for your help

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

coming from dirt i used to play with gearing all the time i think u would be surprised how much improvment u could get in low end without loosing much if anything on top.if u want to retain compensator there is a larger ring gear for the cluthbasket.its only a couple of teeth.not to sure about your stock gearing it is already a tad lower than my 07,but my motor will not pull 6th gear to redline so i might even gain top end with lower gearing?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandGlide
My goal is to get a bit more bottom end (ok to lose "some" topend). I had been thinking about 255 cams, but lately have been thinking about going down a couple of teeth on the front compensator sprocket. I have heard though, that you can't get a smaller front primary sprocket and still retain a compensator on a 2009 model?? Any ideas here? My bike has rinehart slip ons, screamin eagle air cleaner and hd remap. Just thinking that a simple sprocket change should give a similar "seat of the pants" improvement as cams do, with a lot less work and $$.

Thanks for your help
You can get a bigger clutch sprocket, (49T, stock is 46t) and retain compensator and it is the equivalent of a 30t trans pulley or you can get a 30 engine sprocket(stock is 34t) and it replaces the compensator sprocket. Both come with appropriate primary chain needed for install.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM
chevyorange
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of changing engine or trans sprocket to. I was just wondering if it would mess up 6 gear indicator light.I don't know if computer reads engine speed to trans speed to trip light. I believe it does,I haven't had time to call thundermax to see if it does and if so,if they allready have the number to put into computer.If someone allready knows could you post. Didn't mean to jump on your post.Thankyou

Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I changed out the Comp sprocket with a solid 30T sprocket in my '09 King..... nice change ..... and losing the comp sprocket is not a bad thing.......... it cleaned up a bunch of the clunky "slop" that my primary had.... all good in my experience....

oh ya... sixth gear indicator light does NOT work in my bike after this change and my speedo reads about 3MPH over at 70MPH... it may have before, I never checked it.....

Last edited by hoofnhog; 03-29-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

255's are great cams in a 96". Get the cams and keep the compensator, it's there for a reason. And your not going to loose anything on the top end with the 255's if your currently running stock cams! My .

Last edited by 07FLHT; 03-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

this might sound dumb, but i'm curious. by changing out the compensator for a sprocket with fewer teeth, or by changing out the clutch basket with more teeth, either would lower the gearing of the final drive ratio. this would still allow the speedo to operate like stock because the front pulley sprocket and rear drive wheel sprocket remained the same and the speedo is fed information from the transmission, right? if this is correct then it'd bring an 08 tall geared bike to where the 09 and later models are geared which would be an improvement. let me know if i got this right. i hope this made sense.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Regearing will certainly work at the expense of lowing your comfortable cruise speed.Go for it then you will know for certain.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
this might sound dumb, but i'm curious. by changing out the compensator for a sprocket with fewer teeth, or by changing out the clutch basket with more teeth, either would lower the gearing of the final drive ratio. this would still allow the speedo to operate like stock because the front pulley sprocket and rear drive wheel sprocket remained the same and the speedo is fed information from the transmission, right? if this is correct then it'd bring an 08 tall geared bike to where the 09 and later models are geared which would be an improvement. let me know if i got this right. i hope this made sense.
While my heads were out being done during my 103" build, we changed the compensator to the SE one and added the Evo Ind. 49 tooth clutch basket. This helped the gearing on my 07 all the way around! Speedo works as it did before (off a few mph vs. GPS) but, I have installed 05 CVO gauges so I can't tell you about the 6th gear light.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
Correct, changing the primary gears will not affect the speedo. However, on 07 and 08 bikes you lose the 6th gear light. On the 08's you lose cruise unless you modify the ecm with a race tuner or TTS. (might also be able to do it with other tuners)
The easiest way to match 09 and up bikes is by going to a 68T Sportster sprocket.
There's a thread on it here. I did it on my 07 and am happy.

Quick Reply: Smaller Compensator Sprocket vs Cams