Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Fairing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks, going to pull mine off this weekend to take fairing mirrors off. possibly exchange speakers as well....providing that's not too complicated.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

A suggestion or two:

First, be mindful when it comes to the last step of removing the third screw that you will probably holding the fairing in place with your waist, so be sure you don't have a belt buckle or something else that may scratch the paint.

Second, whatever you use to remove the last screw, put it in your pocket or set aside before pulling the outer fairing.

Third, it's quite easy to encounter problems lining up the holes when reinstalling; not the top three, but the other 4. What has worked great for me is to loosely install the top three starting at the center; reinstall the windshield; and here is the tip--lift the outer fairing with one hand using the headlamp surround of the outer fairing--it will move slightly upward--then tighten the center screw so the fairing does't slip when you do the other screws.

Carl

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
A suggestion or two:

First, be mindful when it comes to the last step of removing the third screw that you will probably holding the fairing in place with your waist, so be sure you don't have a belt buckle or something else that may scratch the paint.

Second, whatever you use to remove the last screw, put it in your pocket or set aside before pulling the outer fairing.

Third, it's quite easy to encounter problems lining up the holes when reinstalling; not the top three, but the other 4. What has worked great for me is to loosely install the top three starting at the center; reinstall the windshield; and here is the tip--lift the outer fairing with one hand using the headlamp surround of the outer fairing--it will move slightly upward--then tighten the center screw so the fairing does't slip when you do the other screws.

Carl
ALL, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS. LINING UP THE HOLES IS A SERIOUS PITA.

And Carl, I wish you would have posted these suggestions BEFORE I reinstalled my inner fairing. It would have saved me alot of cussing and anger. lol

Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Kringame, it took me a while to learn that a gentle lift of the outer fairing when reinstalling would provide perfect hole alignment-- just provide enough lift to the point where it won't go higher and you have reached the "sweet spot."

Carl

Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use locktite when you reinstall, otherwise the brass fitting in the fairing wil simply spin and you won't get it back off.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 98fat
Don't use locktite when you reinstall, otherwise the brass fitting in the fairing wil simply spin and you won't get it back off.
Why would you even use loctite when reinstalling? I don't know where you would use loctite? What made you think that anyone would need loctite? It's simply pulling out plugs and bolts.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
sappershane
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post, just bought a Street Glide this will come in handy.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the fairing off is the easy part... If you strip/spin/break or otherwise f-up those inserts you are in for a real 'treat'...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I removed my SG fairing, I made the mistake of removing windshield screws firtst and fairing fell and bounced off the fender and landed paint down on the concrete. Luckily all the scratches came out with wet sand and buff.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good tip about the socks over the spot lights.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Fairing Removal