Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Fairing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
I dread any job that requires the front fairing to be taken off.
whoa! not wanted I wanted to hear. explain the dreadness please.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
whoa! not wanted I wanted to hear. explain the dreadness please.
Don't let it hold you back man....just a PITA lining up the holes. Just seems to take so much time for some thing that seems so easy.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say that the removal of the fairing was not bad at all. easy to get off and just as easy to get back on. I had a buddy stop by when I was putting it back on and he added another pair of hands but I could have managed it by myself. Now next time I remove it , will be to replace speakers....unless that's terribly complicated....but from looks of inside the fairing it looked like a easy 4 bolts and unplug terminals.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
toddhack
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just removed my outer fairing on my week old 2013 Street Glide to install a Flash2Pass garage door opener. What a pain in the ****! I custom built a fairing for my last Harley a Dyna Fat Bob that literally took a minute or two to accomplish. The SG was a bit** cause of those two hidden screws. I found it easier to remove the tank to finally access the screws with my fat fingers. Once I got to the guts and got it off then I saw how easy it really is but without the tank off, now way for me.

By the way, if I had the service guide it probably would have been easier to do this so I am ordering one tomorrow!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced a speaker. I am not mechanically inclined. I thought it was a piece of cake taking it off and putting it back on. No issues. Maybe I was lucky. With all that said, a few weeks ago before I did this I stripped my middle windshield bolt. Go figure.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
sjf517
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 bolts

Originally Posted by dugan
I have to say that the removal of the fairing was not bad at all. easy to get off and just as easy to get back on. I had a buddy stop by when I was putting it back on and he added another pair of hands but I could have managed it by myself. Now next time I remove it , will be to replace speakers....unless that's terribly complicated....but from looks of inside the fairing it looked like a easy 4 bolts and unplug terminals.
Not 4, only 3 . and getting the faring back on is really a 2 man job for ease and no stress.
My biggest problem is all the friggin wires.
I have an XM setup and installed a HogTunes Amp and speakers and have a hard time getting it all under the faring again. Lots of cussin going on for sure!

Last edited by sjf517; 11-15-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Just a few comments, and 'scuse me if I'm just a little too 'old school' in this age of the Interweb and easy fixes...

1. The OEM shop manual does an outstanding job of describing this procedure, including identifying the "hidden" fasteners. In my opinion, one should never start wrenching on one's motorcycle without first procuring a service manual. For one thing, it will help one avoid panic-stricken questions on forums! Get one, read it, use it!

2. Actually, this thread should be titled 'Removing the Outer Fairing'...there are two pieces of the fairing, and the outer one is easy as pie to remove...the inner one? Take lotsa pix and allow some time! Haven't done that one yet, but it's coming up this winter so I can paint it.

3. Someone questioned using Loctite...it's used to prevent fasteners from falling off the bike, so I use it on just about every fastener. If I don't use it for whatever reason, I'll use anti-seize. Generally, it's Loctite 242-blue that gets used...also acts as an anti seize.

4. I have installed studs in the lowest two AKA 'hidden' holes to help me line the outer fairing up...Use RED Loctite to install them, and blue Loctite to keep the nuts from falling off. The reason I haven't used studs on the upper/outer holes is because there's not enough room for nutz to fit into the depression on the inner fairing, otherwise, I'd install studs there too. Wherever possible and practical, I like to use studs, especially on parts that get removed and replaced relatively often, such as the outer fairing. I have been considering using studs in the windshield holes too... haven't quite got my arms around that yet, but I'm workin' on it.

5. There's nothing to dread on this task. It's easy. And, it's pretty good engineering too, I think. The one thing to avoid is over-tightening the fasteners, and that's another good reason to use Loctite 242...

6. That's a great idea to use socks on the spotlights. I actually have never worried about them, as I'm pretty careful about this task, but I think I'm gonna start doing this, heck, ya just never know!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=lucky3z;8118686]I searched the internet for a step by step guide to remove the front fairing on a Street Glide and couldn't find anything. So I decided to do it myself. This is my first post and I wanted to make a more detailed front fairing removal guide, so here goes!

#1 You will need a T-27 for all 7 screw removal. Remove the windsheild as to make it easier to handle the fairing. There are three screws you must take out. Pull the winsheild toward the front fairing to create a gap for it to slip over the bolt holes. After the windsheild is removed, replace the middle screw on the fairing for support.
Attachment 175929

#2 Locate and remove the screws on the left and right hand side below the mirrors.
Attachment 175927
Attachment 175928

#3 Locate and remove the screws that are just inside the forks on the left and right below the inner fairing.
Attachment 175925
Attachment 175926

#4 You should have six screws removed with the seventh being the one that was reinstalled in step one. It is suggested that you put something over your front fender to protect it during fairing removal. While supporting the fairing, remove the last screw that was reinstalled in step #1.

#5 Pull the fairing from the bike and unplug the headlight from its cord.

Follow in reverse order for easy installation.

Hope this makes it easy for anyone wanting to remove the front fairing![/

Disregard my last question, I thought this thread was about FULL fairing removal. It appears it is only fairing front cover removal.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 06-08-2015 at 09:46 PM.