Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Hang Around
Post Street Glide Fairing Removal

I searched the internet for a step by step guide to remove the front fairing on a Street Glide and couldn't find anything. So I decided to do it myself. This is my first post and I wanted to make a more detailed front fairing removal guide, so here goes!

#1 You will need a T-27 for all 7 screw removal. Remove the windsheild as to make it easier to handle the fairing. There are three screws you must take out. Pull the winsheild toward the front fairing to create a gap for it to slip over the bolt holes. After the windsheild is removed, replace the middle screw on the fairing for support.
Street Glide Fairing Removal-imag0161.jpg

#2 Locate and remove the screws on the left and right hand side below the mirrors.
Street Glide Fairing Removal-imag0159.jpg
Street Glide Fairing Removal-imag0160.jpg

#3 Locate and remove the screws that are just inside the forks on the left and right below the inner fairing.
Street Glide Fairing Removal-imag0157.jpg
Street Glide Fairing Removal-imag0158.jpg

#4 You should have six screws removed with the seventh being the one that was reinstalled in step one. It is suggested that you put something over your front fender to protect it during fairing removal. While supporting the fairing, remove the last screw that was reinstalled in step #1.

#5 Pull the fairing from the bike and unplug the headlight from its cord.

Follow in reverse order for easy installation.

Hope this makes it easy for anyone wanting to remove the front fairing!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

it's quite easy after you've done it the first time. you just gotta remember those hidden bolts. it's a good idea to put a blanket or something soft on your front fender, just in case.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Road Warrior

Personally I do your step #1 as the third step so I have a firm hold on the fairing as I remove the final center screw...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Road Master

Good post. It's nice to have some new step-by-step posts vs. using the search function and reading for days.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/dowlandj/Finished%20Paint%20Job/12_zps7bc79b23.jpg
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Hang Around
Default Finally!

Thanks for you Info! Finally someone that made it simple!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Club Member

Good Job!!

Feuling Reaper 525 Cams PC-V- Rinehart Slim-line Duals and 4 inch Rinehart Slip-Ons.
88 HP-98 TQ
Stage 2.
Lots of other custom stuff
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Extreme HDF Member

That's pretty much how I do it.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elPrez View Post
Personally I do your step #1 as the third step so I have a firm hold on the fairing as I remove the final center screw...
I remove the center windshield screw last (pull the windshield before screw is fully removed, as it will hold on the batwing and prevent it from falling. I have aux headlamps, and they also will somewhat hold the batwing in place if no screws are in it if you are not moving the bars around.

mikebaby
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Road Master
Jim Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwolb View Post
it's quite easy after you've done it the first time. you just gotta remember those hidden bolts. it's a good idea to put a blanket or something soft on your front fender, just in case.
Good tip. Another good tip I learned from here is if you have passing lights use pair of old tube socks and cover them as well.

2012 FLHX3 CVO Street Glide
Citrus Orange/Antique Gunstock
San Antonio, Texas
American by Birth Texan by Choice
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter

Thanks Man, I was missing those lower screws at first, your post cleared that issue up in a big hurry.
Unfortunately the code on the radio that said speakers open, I did not find this to be the actual physical case, off to the dealer tomorrow to see if the extended warranty really works!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM

P