Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locks for RKC soft leather bags

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Strazzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locks for RKC soft leather bags

Hi,

Has anyone tried the locks for the soft leather bags on the Road King Classic? The Harley parts catalog has a "universal" one for about $50 and others I have seen are up to $200. I like to know if anyone has tried the "universal" locks and if they are hard to install.

Thanks,
Frank

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

The Road King Classic bags are not soft leather. I don't think the $50 locks will work on them. I checked out the Harley locks for the RKC and decided to go with the Inertia Wrx locks. Just installed them this week. Easy install, except I'm waiting on two springs which were missing from my kit. They're easier to operate than the HD lock which is hard to get at.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Save your money. A 5 year old can lift the back of the bag lid up, fold it over and get the goodies out.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Inertia Wrx locks on my 99 FLRCI and am happy with them. They are not 100% tamper proof. As stated above you can pry the rear of the bag up and pull stuff through but for the most part it will keep people honest. If somebody comes up in a crowded place like a ralley they cant pretend the bike is theirs and lift the lids and pull out your stuff. Most people would question a person bending the lid over and pulling out a jacket ect. At least I would question it. I know if i lost my key I wouldnt bend my lid up.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Thinking like a crook....If I saw a guy locking up his bags that normally don't lock, I'd figure he has something pretty valuable in there that I might want...LOL.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true. I guess a guy could take some "liquid nails" and glue razor blades to the lid of his bags (dangerous side down). That way when some numbnut thinks he needs to pry it up and slide his hand in he gets more than he expects.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, except that is considered a "man trap" and opens you up to criminal charges and civil liability if a thief harms himself.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Or you could just take a screwdriver and remove the bags completely. So why is it that they put locks on the Hard Bags?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Heck, just use a Bic pen, start the bike and ride it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahDQ2ZQ3e0

I tried it and unlocked my bike.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Strazzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag locks

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I guess maybe I'd be better of with hard bags, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money. I'm looking for a place where I can put my handgun if I go somewhere like a bank where I can't take the gun in with me. I know if someone really wants to steal something they'll be in the bags in a minute but I just need something to deter them for a short time.

Thanks again for your comments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: locks for RKC soft leather bags