Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide Stereo System Project - Need Opinions

Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 PM
defense44
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide Stereo System Project - Need Opinions

I am planning a Stereo System upgrade to my 2009 SG. I want big sound but clear sound as well.

I have been reading on this site for days now all the options for Amps, Speakers, Systems etc and I am now undecided on which direction to go.

I need some opinions as what is really the best option or direction to go based on the set-up I have in mind.

These are the things I am doing - It’s the execution I need help with…
Let’s start at the Saddlebags - I am going to be purchasing and installing the Rock N Tops lids, these lids except a 7.25” rear speaker which I want to drive with an amp.

I also am acquiring a set of lower fairings and will be purchasing the HD molded glove boxes so they can be color matched. These fit a 6.5” speaker which I also want to drive with an amp. (Not sure if an adapter is made to accept the larger 7.25” speaker which would be great so all the speakers would be the same.)

I will also be replacing the upper faring speakers with 6.5” speakers or the 7.25” but not sure if the bracket to mount 7.25’s is available except in a package from JM.

I will be using the stock HK radio.

I want to use 500 Watt amps - This is the direction most company’s are going and I don’t want to upgrade in a year, I want to do it now.

I also want to install the IPOD controller if possible and mount the IPOD inside the bag as well. - Need to read up on this more.

Now the options….and there are many

Amp’s - Type and Location
I will most likely need 2 amps. I have read about JM, Hard Ride, Arc and all the others that are available and Plug and Play is important since I will be doing the install myself.

I am thinking about mounting an Amp in each Saddlebag since I will most likely have to mount one there anyhow. (I don’t travel that much and space is not an issue) If I mount them in the saddlebags then I am not restricted to size limitations in the fairing and can use any Amp (Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Arc, JM etc.) and I can run (2) identical set-ups which in my opinion would look good inside the bag. I am worried about heat inside the bag but have some venting ideas on the inside of the bag and yes provisions for water which I also have some ideas. This also allows me to change, upgrade etc without having to remove the fairing etc.

I also am thinking of purchasing both amps as 4 Channel, in which I will have a spare in case I add another set of speakers or tweeters.

Speakers
If I go with a JM set-up I can use all 7.25 inch speakers at all locations unless someone makes a bracket to go from 6.5 to 7.25 that is sold separately but if not JM then I will be using (4) 6.5 and (2) 7.25 speakers.

There are so many brand names Boom, Bazooka, Focal, Kicker, Hertz, JM, etc. I know most will say that you have to listen to them to decide but after a certain point, 500watt, 70mph, wind etc. they may all sound decent. I am looking for something “not made in China” and something that is tested with known performance.

I am also planning on running the bag speakers off the rear channels of the radio to give me the fade from front to rear.

My AMP Questions
What are your opinions and comments on Bag mounted amps (vibration, heat, etc).

If size limitation is not an issue (bag mounted) since I don’t believe a 500 Watt 4 channel amp is available to fit in the fairing on a Street Glide, then why go with a JM, Hogtunes, or Hawg Wired amp since there major appeal is fitting in the fairing along with some enhanced board moisture control measures and special brackets?

Are there plug and play harnesses available as a purchase separately?

What are your opinions on having each set of speakers on their own channel which is the direction I am going.

My Speaker Questions
Is there a bracket available to go from 5.25” to 7.25” or from 6.5” to 7.25” that is available as a separate purchase?

I have read about problems/poor sound from JM and Hog Tunes speakers, any other brands experience problems?

I am also planning on running the bag speakers off the rear channels of the radio and both sets of front off the front to give me the fade from front to rear, anybody see issues with this or run the lowers off the rear?

Well there is my project, I have started to buy some components and hopefully will get started here soon.

If any of you have any comments, opinions, do’s and don’ts please let me know. Hopefully after hearing from some of you I can make a decision on a complete system.

I am leading towards Kicker or Focal for speakers and undecided as of yet on the amps, I really would like some opinions.

Thanks and sorry for the long read.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:38 PM
gforce29
Advanced
Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM
ethal68
Tourer

You might just as well get rid of that head unit, if your going this far.
I think you may want to talk to Glacierpearl...........I think thats his name.
Maybe he will chime in.........

Here........ this link may be of interest......https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ce-stereo.html

Last edited by ethal68; 04-09-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 146 Posts

GlacierPearl would be one of the folks you need to talk to. He did all his own work and can really help you out on what you need to do.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You either need to ditch the factory head unit,..................or not put so much thought in the rest of the system.

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. And,........the stock H/K is REALLY weak, when it comes to great audio.

Don't be so concerned with plug & play. It all looks scary,...........but if you take your time,......you can do ANYTHING !!

Check out my thread called: Even a MORON can have a nice stereo. It is complete with a 'write-up', and pictures.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ce-stereo.html

You'll get a good idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

Keep us posted,.and ask lots of questions !!

PS. Don't worry about heat with the amps,...........and the HD lowers don't take the 7 1/4" speakers !!