Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Wiring SNAFU

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Sporty302
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turn Signal Wiring SNAFU

I don't like the amber turn signal lenses on my 2011 FLHTCU so yesterday I picked up an HD smoked turn signal lens kit - flat lens (#69308-02). Mounted the front dual-filament bulbs and lenses and did a test. WTF, the left running light is brighter than the right one an I can't see the left turn signal light blinking! Swapped the OEM bulb back in with the lens off and saw that the brighter turn signal filament was glowing constantly and the less bright running light filament was blinking. I figured this had to be an HD screw-up (or whoever they get the front turn signal assemblies from) since this was a new bike and the running light/turn signal wires were wired backwards!

After thinking how dumb I was by not finding this problem by doing a pre-ride safety check on my first and subsequent rides I opened the service manual to see what's what with the turn signal wiring harnesses. Turns out each signal harness runs up behind the outer fairing to connectors on the left and right inner fairing horizontal metal support brackets. Each connector has four wires number 1-4 for the running light, turn signal, ground and aux. lamp. I disconnected the left harness, referred to the service manual about releasing the wire terminals from the connector and swapped the #1 blue running light wire with the #2 violet turn signal wire. Problem solved!

Lessons learned:
1. Always do a pre-trip safety inspection, even on brand new bikes!
2. Check and retighten fasteners after doing work; found I was missing a fairing screw that loosened and fell out sometime after I put on the oil temp. gauge.
3. If, like me, you have already done the rear turn signal to brake light upgrade and have red lenses on the rear signals you won't need the rear lenses and bulbs that come with the smoked lens kit. I didn't see where HD offered separate kits for front and rear. In hindsight I could have just bought 2 individual smoked lenses (#69329-02) and 2 amber front signal bulbs (#69331-02 or same bulb for less at any auto parts store) and would have gotten away cheaper than the $37.95 complete kit!

Also, to complete the smoked lens look I replaced the amber front fender marker light lens and bulb with the HD smoked fender tip lens/LED light (#59338-09).

Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure you didn't just force the bulb in wrong? That's been done a lot and it is what makes them glow the opposite of what they're supposed to.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Sporty302
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Other Sheep, no, I know that these bulbs only go in one way!