Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parade Mode????s

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kredin
Hmmmm... I'll have to get the MoCo right on that and make the correction to the 2010 H-D Owners Manual for Touring Models. (Page 146 - ..."the rear cylinder will become an "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.")
Right, but the cooling is for your benefit, not because there is any heat risk to the motor at those temps. If there was, you wouldn't be able to disable the system. HD runs these bikes in the AZ desert testing grounds at much hotter temps with low air flow.

Here you go http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US (PDF file)

"EITMS is purely for rider comfort. When it activates and “shuts off” the rear cylinder, it’s not because the motor is overheating. It’s designed to reduce the heat radiating from the rear cylinder to the rider."

Last edited by ehans; 04-10-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehans
Right, but the cooling is for your benefit, not because there is any heat risk to the motor at those temps. If there was, you wouldn't be able to disable the system. HD runs these bikes in the AZ desert testing grounds at much hotter temps with low air flow.

Here you go http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US (PDF file)

...this dude knows his chit, and I for one, THANK him! (thanks)

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds normal to me. If I am running from light to light mine will easily kick in at those temps. I can run 50 miles in the desert at 90+F though and sit idle for several minutes and it never kicks in.

Oh, and one note. EITMS is not for the bike. HD claims totally unnecessary for the safety of the motor. It is 100% for rider comfort. If it kicks in, it is trying to cool you down, not the motor.
Although the engine getting hot enough to activate the EITMS is NORMAL, don't misinterpret that as being desirable. Normal and desired are not always the same and this is a classic example of that.

While 287 degrees (the EITMS threshold for activation) will not cause any immediate catastrophic damage, prolonged operation at temperatures that high is detrimental to engine life. If the HD claim quoted above is true, I could care less - Regardless of that claim, I'd prefer my engine running much cooler.

I've installed a "parade" fan to my bike that is excellent at controlling the engine temperature during prolonged idling encountered in congested traffic conditions. Here's a link to a thread that documents how well the fan performs: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html

If you are really concerned about engine temps in rally type environments, or anytime you encounter congested traffic conditions, I highly recommend a fan of this nature.

Attached Thumbnails Parade Mode????s-engine-cooling-033.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Sledhed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but how do those heat deflectors under your seat help with the heat from the engine on your legs?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sledhed
Not to hijack the thread, but how do those heat deflectors under your seat help with the heat from the engine on your legs?
Loads. Night and day diff. Sort of irritating that all Touring models don't come stock with them.

Doesn't mean I am always comfy, but they are a definite help and would recommend them to anyone that rides more than 20 minutes at a time.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain

You must be talking about the Engine Idle Temperature Management System. Basically, it turns off the rear cylinder and it becomes an "air pump" which helps to cool the engine.

All conditions must be met to activate EITMS:
- Engine temp more than 287 degrees
- Engine idling
- Moving under 1 MPH
- RMPs less than 1200

Once activated it'll deactivate if one of the following exist:
- Engine temp falls below 275 degrees
- Revving the engine
- Moving faster than 2 MPH
- RPMs exceed 1350
- Clutch released while its in gear

Your bike should have been delivered with EITMS disabled. To enable it:
1. Turn the ignition switch ON and push the OFF/RUN switch to the RUN position (do not start your bike).
2. Push the throttle to the roll-off position and hold.
3. After about 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to reverse the process as needed.

As for it running hot... yep, it's a Harley.
all of the above ....but mine can be turned on/off while eng running at idle by rolling throttle forward till cruise light turns green

Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Hmmmm... I'll have to get the MoCo right on that and make the correction to the 2010 H-D Owners Manual for Touring Models. (Page 146 - ..."the rear cylinder will become an "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.")

I think he is talking about "cooling himself down", when he hear the "pump" goes off.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Sort of irritating that all Touring models don't come stock with them.
I think the heat deflectors are STD on all the touring models from 2010 - present.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM
ehans
Tourer

Originally Posted by jackhis
I think the heat deflectors are STD on all the touring models from 2010 - present.
Nope. Had to buy a set for my wife's 2010 Street Glide. I also noticed the 2011 CVO Street Glide doesn't come with them either. Absurd a $35K bike doesn't come with those things preinstalled.

I think the only ones that has them by default are 1-2 of the EG's and the RGU, plus the CVO EG and CVO RGU.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

buy a ultra oil cooler that was to hot for me didnt like it so i bought the cooler no more problems. and they lowered there prices to to $350.00.

Quick Reply: Parade Mode????s