Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
What is the little plug already in front of the HK radio (lower right corner)?
AUx input for your Ipod or other MP3 player.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an adapter for the 7 pin that allows me to plug regular earbuds in.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrax
You can send your radio into iron cross. I think they can install a headphone out jack on it. You could then use a y splitter to have two 1/8 jacks out and use an inline volume control to adjust independent volume for you and a passenger.
www.ironcrossaudio.com...
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
AUx input for your Ipod or other MP3 player.
I think I will send mine in. Move that aux jack to the back and have a headphone jack in the front.
Also have them change the color of the LED to amber, like the gauges.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The simpliest way I have found is (this is simplar than I am making it sound)

Basicly I tied into where the speaker wires plug into the speakers
I wanted everything to plug in and unplug so:

I made a Y connector (two female and one male ends) with extra wire speaker wire and some spade connectors.

Using the Y connector: Plug the stock speaker wire into the male end, then one female end into the fairing speaker
and the other end into a speaker wire that I had gotten from radio shack (that was speaker wire that had a male RCA jack end - that's all they had) you will need to add a spade connector to one end.

(or just soder the headphone wires to the stock wires)

I had a double RCA female coupler

This plugs into an iPod 3.5 adapter, like a Pyle (PLIPG1) iPod 3.5mm Stereo to RCA Adaptor
The white wire in the picture is unused

I did not want to drill a hole anywhere and this one sticks on with body moulding tape.
When you order one make sure it's black, a lot of them are white.

Once you get settled on what and where you want it and want to drill a hole, this is a black water proof one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-g0FhPwM...-IC-3-5PM.html

I originaly mounted it on the fairing but the headphone wire kind of dances around in the wind, so the second time I ran some wires under the gas tank and ran the wires back to the battery area and mounted the iPod headphone jack to my heat shield. Now I don't see the wire dancing above the gas tank.

I guess I need to take some real pictures and do a write up. lol

With this setup I use some Skull Daddy ear Buds and I can hear perfectly. Even soft pop/rock.
I have the AVC on 2 bars and never get above the third bar on the volume.

Way better than any speaker/amp setup and I've been the 6 1/2" speakers and 360 watt setup route. I still couldn't hear it clear enough at 70 into a head wind with the big amp and big speakers.

This should all cost less than $30

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 04-19-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
jims79flh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas Fat Boy,
Did you do that mode to just one side of your speakers (mono) or did you use both sides (stereo)?? Are the fairing speakers still on while you listen to your headphones? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you may be on to something here. Got any pics of this?

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
The simpliest way I have found is (this is simplar than I am making it sound)

Basicly I tied into where the speaker wires plug into the speakers
I wanted everything to plug in and unplug so:

I made a Y connector (two female and one male ends) with extra wire speaker wire and some spade connectors.

Using the Y connector: Plug the stock speaker wire into the male end, then one female end into the fairing speaker
and the other end into a speaker wire that I had gotten from radio shack (that was speaker wire that had a male RCA jack end - that's all they had) you will need to add a spade connector to one end.

(or just soder the headphone wires to the stock wires)

I had a double RCA female coupler

This plugs into an iPod 3.5 adapter, like a Pyle (PLIPG1) iPod 3.5mm Stereo to RCA Adaptor
The white wire in the picture is unused

I did not want to drill a hole anywhere and this one sticks on with body moulding tape.
When you order one make sure it's black, a lot of them are white.

Once you get settled on what and where you want it and want to drill a hole, this is a black water proof one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-g0FhPwM...-IC-3-5PM.html

I originaly mounted it on the fairing but the headphone wire kind of dances around in the wind, so the second time I ran some wires under the gas tank and ran the wires back to the battery area and mounted the iPod headphone jack to my heat shield. Now I don't see the wire dancing above the gas tank.

I guess I need to take some real pictures and do a write up. lol

With this setup I use some Skull Daddy ear Buds and I can hear perfectly. Even soft pop/rock.
I have the AVC on and never get above the second bar on the volume.
Way better than any speaker/amp setup and I've been the 6 1/2" speakers and 360 watt setup route. I still couldn't hear it clear enough at 70 into a head wind with the big amp and big speakers.

This should all cost less than $30

Yeah, what he said?

Originally Posted by jims79flh
Texas Fat Boy,
Did you do that mode to just one side of your speakers (mono) or did you use both sides (stereo)?? Are the fairing speakers still on while you listen to your headphones? Thanks for the help.

Thanks for posting your mod!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jims79flh
Texas Fat Boy,
I hooked up both speakers separately, it's stereo.

The stock fairing speakers stay on, but the volume is so low you can't hear them.
So if you want to just tool around without messing with the headphones, just turn up the volume and the stock speakers play like normal.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 04-19-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
hwyhound
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocknrod
I think I will send mine in. Move that aux jack to the back and have a headphone jack in the front.
Also have them change the color of the LED to amber, like the gauges.
Just Got mine back from Iron Cross yesterday and I’m VERY pleased with the results. Both the auxiliary and headphone exit the rear of the radio. The headphone cable is 60” long, enough to run to the rear of the tank. There is also a switch included to toggle between your speakers and the headphones.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hwyhound
Just Got mine back from Iron Cross yesterday and I’m VERY pleased with the results. Both the auxiliary and headphone exit the rear of the radio. The headphone cable is 60” long, enough to run to the rear of the tank. There is also a switch included to toggle between your speakers and the headphones.
This is exactly what I want to do. What does their toggle switch look like? Could you post a pic?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
hwyhound
Advanced

Originally Posted by drspencer
This is exactly what I want to do. What does their toggle switch look like? Could you post a pic?
Thanks
Switch is a kuryakyn double rocker and fits in the switch panel like factory.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?-img_1960.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide: How to Listen to HD Radio Through Headphones?