Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1511 p2101

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1511 p2101

Well I knew it was too good to be true when my main wiring harness was replaced a few months ago to fix this issue. My 2011 EGC threw these AGAIN twice after refueling. Only problem is that I am 750 miles from home actually using my touring bike for touring...

Anyway when this happens bike goes into limp home mode. I ended up pulling the master fuse both times to clear it. Bike runs fine after that and does not repeat episode right away.

Want to note that every single incident has been after refueling - even before new harness. The moco response has typically been cleaning/replacing pins into the ECM but I think it is something else, especially since I received a new wiring harness.

Anyone else experiencing this after refueling?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I have read on here that others have greased up the pins on the ECM connectors with dielectric grease that helped the issue. Not sure why this is happening after you refuel, sorry no help there. Hope you get it figured out. Many smarter folks on here than me. I am sure someone will chime in.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Those kind of problems are the worst. Sorry you're having to deal with them. What are those codes indicative of and what year bike are we talking?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is a link to the codes if it helps you;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...tic-codes.html

Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

TickTockYou have a PM

Last edited by SpiderPig; 04-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Like mentioned earlier pins were replaced when the main harness was replaced. This was on consult from my dealer from moco. Not sure what the problem really is but bike is hot and it is after a refuel. Very first time bike had 300 miles on it.

This trip it happened on separate days but both in the afternoon. I had fueled earlier in the day with no issues.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Just to update a resolution - the dealer is working with motor company to get a new ecm download that is not quite released yet. I don't quite understand it (so my explanation might not be quite right), but there is some diagnostic check the occurs when shutting down the engine that determines where the throttle position is and the position of the throttle plate. Apparently the current stock calibration doesn't have enough latency built in and the check occurs too fast - thereby throwing the code. There is supposedly not a physical problem with the bike and so their fix is to update the ECM table that controls the amount of time it waits before performing the check.

So for the record this is what has been done so far:
1.) Clean ECM Pins
2.) Replace ECM Pins
3.) Replace main wiring harness
4.) Receive new stock download

The table being updated in the ECM is also in an area that the current tuners such as TTS and PowerVision do not flash. This is more of a firmware flash.

Keywords for search 1511 - 2101 - p1511 - p2101

Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Just to update a resolution - the dealer is working with motor company to get a new ecm download that is not quite released yet. I don't quite understand it (so my explanation might not be quite right), but there is some diagnostic check the occurs when shutting down the engine that determines where the throttle position is and the position of the throttle plate. Apparently the current stock calibration doesn't have enough latency built in and the check occurs too fast - thereby throwing the code. There is supposedly not a physical problem with the bike and so their fix is to update the ECM table that controls the amount of time it waits before performing the check.

So for the record this is what has been done so far:
1.) Clean ECM Pins
2.) Replace ECM Pins
3.) Replace main wiring harness
4.) Receive new stock download

The table being updated in the ECM is also in an area that the current tuners such as TTS and PowerVision do not flash. This is more of a firmware flash.

Keywords for search 1511 - 2101 - p1511 - p2101
Subscribing, my new 2011 limited did the same thing last night after refueling and had the same codes.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Just a stupid thought,could it have something to with re-setting the trip gauge?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Just a stupid thought,could it have something to with re-setting the trip gauge?
No, IMHO I think it is the diagnostic test failure like I described earlier. To me that makes more sense than a corroded pin. I had this happen the very first time in the first month I had the bike with 300 miles on it.

Often I reset the trip gauge after I have started the bike. What occurs is that when you turn the ignition switch on, the check engine light comes on and stays on.

Quick Reply: P1511 p2101