Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WO575 questions

Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WO575 questions

I know...there are lots of threads on the WO575 bars. I've been researching a cure for my upper back pain and these bars seem to be the ones most recommended on numerous forums. I just have a couple questions I'm hoping I can get answered before I buy a set.

1) Where can I find the best price on the WO575 bar?
2) I have a 2008 FLHX (non-ABS). I've read some conflicting info on what I would need in order to change from the stock bar to the WO575. Do I need longer cables or are the stock cables long enough?
3) I've read that changing bars is very easy. I have a HD service manual. Is this job something that I could EASILY do myself having never changed bars before? I love to work on my own stuff so I can learn, but I don't have anyone to call if I get in a bind. If it is fairly simple, I want to do it.

I know about the stock mirrors being blocked when the WO575's are installed. I'll get some handlebar mirrors before I begin. I KNOW I can install the mirrors! Thanks Guys

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,760 Likes on 21,281 Posts

1. Axiom motorcycle parts
2. 4 inch extended clutch cable
3. Wiring internally will take you the majority of the day.
Wiring externally as you currently are will take 3 hours or so.

Mirrors, I've heard that you may get by by drilling 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch higher and use your stock ones.
Some on the forum have done this. I personally don't know anyone who has.

I went with Khrome Sweepers +2 and went with the Wicked 1 fast lane mirrors that look like this. They are much better quality and stick out about an 1 1/4 inch further than do the stockers.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Best price would be blems from Wild1 but thats a hit or miss deal. Got mine from Dr V-twin. You can use the stock clutch if you want to reroute it outside the fairing. Need a +4 if you want to leave it in the stock location. Brake line is long enough as is. Wires are also long enough if you reroute the fairing side plugs down each side of the radio. You should be fine since you have the manual but if you have problems there is plenty of info here.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:35 PM
m361
Tourer

Excellent info...exactly what I was hoping to find out. Thanks very much.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
m361
Tourer

Two areas of the install that worry me:
-Removing & replacing the clutch cable
-Removing & reinstalling the throttle grip

After reading through the service manual, I'm pretty sure I can do the clutch cable. Instructions seem like they will be easy to follow.

I can't seem to find anywhere in the service manual instructions on removing and reinstalling the throttle grip. Since this bike has "throttle-by-wire", I'm worried that I won't get it back on correct. I have the electronic (.pdf) version of the service manual. Does anyone know where in the manual I can find this info?

I would love to find some write-ups online that walk me through changing the bars. I'd be much more confident to go ahead with it myself. Maybe I'll take the time to document my journey through this learning experience and post it. (Only if I'm successful of course!)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

http://wild1inc.com/techtipswiring.html

I have a 10 street glide. ran the wires inside. It does take time and care to run the TBW wires. I routed the stock clutch cable at the base of the handlebar to gain the extra inches. I see my gloves in the bottom third of the mirror so did not have to mod them.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM
m361
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
http://wild1inc.com/techtipswiring.html

I have a 10 street glide. ran the wires inside. It does take time and care to run the TBW wires. I routed the stock clutch cable at the base of the handlebar to gain the extra inches. I see my gloves in the bottom third of the mirror so did not have to mod them.
Thanks for that link 1Canuck. So you didn't replace the clutch cable with a longer one? I think I'm just gonna leave the TBW wires outside the bar. I think that if I had a Road King or other bike w/o the fairing, I would be more concerned about the clean look.

I was talking with a buddy this morning and he said I would probably have to buy new grips cuz they are usually glued on the bars. He rides a Honda though. Is that true? I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and was planning on reusing them.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All stock cables and wires are fine for use with the 575's............no need to buy anything new if you don't want to. You may have to reroute the clutch cable for the shortest path, and that will give you the slack you need.

Internal wiring is very easy to do. Just make a list of each wire color and location in the plug, then take them all apart. Pull the wires, then reassemble the plugs.

I've done 5-6 sets of these bars on my bike and others bikes......all came out great and people love them.

Steve

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by m361
I think I'm just gonna leave the TBW wires outside the bar. I think that if I had a Road King or other bike w/o the fairing, I would be more concerned about the clean look.

I was talking with a buddy this morning and he said I would probably have to buy new grips cuz they are usually glued on the bars. He rides a Honda though. Is that true? I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and was planning on reusing them.
TBW wires are inside the original bars. No way to run them outside. A little tape or heat shrink on the green connector inside the bars to keep it from pulling apart and you'll be fine. The right grip will come off with no problem, a little twisting and pulling will usually break the glue loose on the left grip.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think the WO575 bars can be wired externally. (something to do with a dimple or no dimple)

I had to have a 4" longer clutch cable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WO575 questions