Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Duggr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Throttle response

Met up with a friend tonight, only made it about a mile down the road and his 2009 lost throttle response, had to idle home, any ideas?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Duggr
Cruiser

Anyone ever experience throttle dropping to idle, or have and idea why it might?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,422 Likes on 21,386 Posts

ECM Connectors perhaps.. The Plug behind the throttle body maybe.
Putting diode grease between the connections of these would be a good place to start.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Duggr
Cruiser

Dealer says 09 had some problems with throttle sensor, taking it in. Thanks Lions.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,422 Likes on 21,386 Posts

There is s thread going on that is not too old, saw it 10 days or so ago about the connectors and the plug behind the throttle body. It seems that are vibrating loose, not so much the corrosion factor from moisture but just the vibration.
If the bike does go in make sure that they diode grease these connectors. If nothing else PVM.

I had mine done and the tech that I know said that this is where most of the hesitations and issues like your friend have are coming from.

Here is the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ing-bikes.html

Last edited by lionsm13; 04-26-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes there is a recent thread on the subject and mine just did it last week. Mines a 2011 and they thought they had the problem fixed, but the techs at the Harley shop were very familiar with it.

Mine the engine light wouldnt go off and I had no throttle response. The next morning it ran fine. When it does it it throws the bike into 'limp mode' and they say its OK to ride it you just arent going to go very fast. They thought it could be the throttle grip sensor and it should have recorded a code but it didn't so they checked all connections to make sure they were tight and put dialectic grease on the ecm pin connectors. One tech said the pins can get corrosion but when I asked the shop manager why a brand new bike would have corrosion he said its not really corrosion....if the pins vibrate its called fretting and the pins get a dust on them and causes a loss of connection. He says the grease fixed a lot of them and the MOCO has a fix out, something to do with the ecm ports but since mine showed no codes he couldn't replace anything. Because of the monsoon around here I haven't been able to pick it up from the shop yet.

Oddly I got a new Peterbilt about a year and a half ago and it did roughly the same thing. Engine light came on and had no power....it was a bad sensor and after they figured out what it was I haven't had a problem since(several others had the same issue as me later it turns out)

I'm hoping the grease will fix mine and it was just a glitch if not it makes me feel a little better they've dealt with it before and know what to try next

Last edited by KahunaJim; 04-26-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The 09 and newer has a fly by wire throttle system. Sensors are highly subject to moisture and vibration and it just sounds like they are showing their weakness in that application.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

It is the throttle sensor. Happened to me on my '09 FLHTCU last year.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Duggr
Cruiser

Dealers' response to 09 with no throttle response, "Usual problem, it's the 2 pins, will replace and you can pick it up Friday". When I find out what the "2 pins" are I will post.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duggr
Dealers' response to 09 with no throttle response, "Usual problem, it's the 2 pins, will replace and you can pick it up Friday". When I find out what the "2 pins" are I will post.

add this to Google--TT418: DTCs P2135 and P2101 Theory and
Diagnostics-- it should be the first one on top it's in a PDF file, on a forum, there are pic's of the pins, there is a lot of info on the Google page about this, hope it helps.

Last edited by vtwinbob; 04-27-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Lost Throttle response