Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Hang Around
Default What are the best years for the Road King

I am going to be looking to purchase my first Harley within the next few months, as soon as i get back in the states. I have been waiting for this for a long time! I will more than likely be purchasing used. I am not sure what i can afford until i check my finances, and see how much i have to work with.
I know the answer to my question is probably going to be buy as new as you can afford to buy. However, i don't know if that is always the best choice. I would say that i am probably going to buy anywhere from 2003 up. I might be able to swing an 07'. Heck, i might be able to afford even newer if i find that right price. What is everyone's feelings on that? Were there better years for the Road King than others? Has it gotten better with each change over the years? Would i be better off to go a little older with more accessories? I know 09' had a significant frame change. 07' had the 96cu engine, and 6 speed trans. Are there any other significant changes throughout previous years? I doubt i'll be able to swing an 09'.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Mike Sowle

There are no blanket answers to your question. Between 2003 and now the were changes throughout the HD lineup. Early models sported the TC88 with the resulting "cam chain tensioner" issue. Change them, upgrade or whatever and you have solved the problem. 07 and up have the TC96 , (or bigger) and this is no longer a major concern. Frame changes in 09 made all the touring bikes wider and longer which some say is a major factor in ride quality don't know it made them uncomfortable w/ my shorter legs. There is cruise, (I love it), abs don't have it and various bells and whistles. All in all you can't go wrong with a roadking, just try various models talk to those you meet that ride them and then pick the one that fits you. Despite what the MoCo says, ALL Roadkings are "classics" and the best bike HD ever made. Let the flames begin.

America is at that awkward stage, it's too late to work within the system, but it's too early to shoot the bastards"---Claire Wolfe
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

02 is the best year for the 88 engine because it has the stronger Timken bearings and better swingarm. 09 is the best year with the 96 engine with the new frame and no catalytic converter.

Beary

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide
2002 RKClassic - Gone but not forgotten
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Rider

I can't begin to imagine what you can afford but can tell you I'm totally satisfied with my '04 Road King Classic. Comfort, looks and much more.

Official Old Guy... 73 Years old & Still Riding
2004 Road King Classic
Oval (Moon) Baffle
Fang wind deflectors (in winter)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Road Captain
Default No cats ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by beary View Post
02 is the best year for the 88 engine because it has the stronger Timken bearings and better swingarm. 09 is the best year with the 96 engine with the new frame and no catalytic converter.

Beary
No cats ?? Better check those head pipes - think you'll find some.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Extreme HDF Member

This is one of those questions that will spark one hell of an argument.

I think the newer the better, as upgrades have been made along the way. As mentioned earlier, some weak links are present from year to year, and may have to be addressed down the road.

The guys with the Evo Road Kings swear by them. I'm a twin cam guy. HATE carburetors, love my ABS, and cruise.

~Joe

John 3:13

Last edited by traveler; 04-26-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlhamlet View Post
I can't begin to imagine what you can afford but can tell you I'm totally satisfied with my '04 Road King Classic. Comfort, looks and much more.
Your bike is gorgeous.

John 3:13
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

+1 for the 202 model year. A few weeks back I rode two 2010 models, Street Glide and Heritage Softail Classic; I wouldn't trade my '02 FLHT for either.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

2002 carburetor last year timken bearing crank 1st year imroved rear swingarm or 1st year delphi fuel injected
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Elite HDF Member

Well, if you ask me (and you did) I'm going to have to tell you that 1998 is the best year for the Road King. Last of the EVOs.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM

P