Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW 2011 FLHTK owner-1st post

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW 2011 FLHTK owner-1st post

First post for me- Just took the plunge on a NEW 2011 FLHTK limited Cool Blue Pearl/Vivid Black.. Feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
Had a few bikes over the MANY years of riding, but this is the first Harley. BSA Hondas, Kaw Nomad, and just before this one - a goldwing.. The wing is a mechanical marvel- but no pizazzz. Like starting a dishwasher. Sat me up too upright, even with higheway pegs- felt like I was in the saddle giving birth. Spread eagle..Anyway- sold it and got something that has some life..No boring here.. Paid for it..(well- me and the bank) and will pick up on Thursday. Any pointers from you "Experts" is welcomed.
Postman in Leesburg, FL.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
chopperblueflhti
Cruiser

CONGRATS!!

Pointers? Enjoy It!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
DevilSperm
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I plan to pick one up this month or next. Anxious to see how you like it!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, make sure the front wheel is pointed in the direction you want to go and enjoy the ride. I do.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Default 2011 fLHTK

Was actually looking at the Ultra Classic, but got a good bank rate and decided for all the goodies- the 103", oil cooler, ABS, Security, Heated grips, Luggage rack, chrome wheels, Wasn't that much more. I did buy a backrest for this old man, but really, for now at least- don't need anything..Of course I always say that, and end up "Improving" it..hahahha
Postman

Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
MasterGuns(Ret)
Advanced

Congrats! I get your excitement, as I just had mine delivered a week ago today. As far as tips go, spend many hours reading this forum and it will prove very informative. You'll read a lot of things about mods. Depending on your expectations, I'd say keep it stock for some time until you know what you think you want to change. I've been there done that with getting caught in what "needs" to be changed. I don't need to go super fast anymore, nor do I need to go deaf from loud pipes. We'll see if things change this summer, though, with respect to managing heat. Otherwise, enjoy it. Oh, and like someone said in another thread, read your owners manual. There is a lot of good information in there.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLPostman
First post for me- Just took the plunge on a NEW 2011 FLHTK limited Cool Blue Pearl/Vivid Black.. Feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
Had a few bikes over the MANY years of riding, but this is the first Harley. BSA Hondas, Kaw Nomad, and just before this one - a goldwing.. The wing is a mechanical marvel- but no pizazzz. Like starting a dishwasher. Sat me up too upright, even with higheway pegs- felt like I was in the saddle giving birth. Spread eagle..Anyway- sold it and got something that has some life..No boring here.. Paid for it..(well- me and the bank) and will pick up on Thursday. Any pointers from you "Experts" is welcomed.
Postman in Leesburg, FL.
Congrats and welcome to the forum. We're looking forward to photos and what upgrades you're planning. We know you're gonna.

As for pointers, "Keep the shiny side up".

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Default 2011 flhtk

Yea- thats the tentative plan- keep it pretty much stock - for now. I'm an old hotrodder from way back- and one thing I sorta learned is, the more "Improvements" you make to go faster- the more you screw something else up. Change one thing, then you have to do something else, then something else and so on. It becomes a "money pit". The engineers that figured all this out probably a little smarter than me, so for now- leave it alone..I know its too lean because of EPA etc, and I am a little concerned about the Florida heat, but hoping the oil cooler will help, plus plan to go to synthetic oil at some point..we'll see.

Postman

Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Congrats and welcome! How about some pictures?!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Congrats on the new scoot & welcome to the madness. Enjoy that new ride & be safe!

Quick Reply: NEW 2011 FLHTK owner-1st post