Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, no start no fuel pump after changing handlebars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, no start no fuel pump after changing handlebars.

Thanks and sorry for a long post in advance. 99 RKC, fuel injected. I just finished installing apes, did internal wiring extensions by cutting, splicing & soldering. After initially installing the bars but before installing switch housings I checked to make sure all the switches worked with the extended wiring. I don't remember if the pump ran, I think it did, but I made sure the starter & all the other switches & lights worked. I pinched some wires when I installed the housings so I cut and spliced the damaged spots but the run/kill switch doesn't prime the pump and the starter button doesn't do anything. I haven't soldered these repairs yet but the splices are twisted together & not touching one another. All the other switches work fine, all the lights come on, brake lights, turn signals, etc. work. I pulled the headlight out and checked pin to pin at the Deutch connector to make sure none of the wires were shorting together or to ground. I found two wires in the harness that were a short but the mating two pins in the interconnect harness were both grounded so I assumed they were ground wires for the switches. I have not confirmed these as grounds in the schematics but two common wires in the harness that matched two grounded pins made sense. I checked the starter relay by removing it and applying voltage. I checked all the fuses with an ohm meter. I charged the battery last night before tearing into it tonight and it fully charged, however this is my fourth season on that battery and it was in it when I bought the bike. My thoughts are that even if the battery was dying it would at least run the fuel pump or click the starter solenoid when the charger was connected but it didn't. It has not been ridden since Dec 31 so I'm not sure if I'm chasing a wiriing problem or if when the wires were pinched it fried something else or if something just got corroded from sitting. I didn't check the fuel pump relay, would that prevent the starter from engaging? I wish I had a set of unmodified stock switches to plug in and determine if it's in the control wiring or further downstream. Suggestions?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

Can anyone tell me if the brake, starter and fuel pump relays are the same? If so I will swap the brake relay in for the others and see if that does anything.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Not to sound like an ***, but you did something wrong, go back and triple check your work, you may have to physically trace and inspect each wire. Just be patient and persistient, electrical issues suck but you'll get it eventually.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 AM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

I checked my work as I progressed and everything was fine but when the wires got pinched they shorted and obviously damaged something. Not sure if a relay or the start switch got fried, if the battery was on its last leg and the short was enough to kill it, etc.

I don't know how to check the hand control wiring circuit by checking voltage/resistance responses further downstream.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

When I changed My switch housings to chrome ones I had the same problem. I finally found a blown fuse after checking and rechecking. I also tested all the fuses with an ohm meter. Remove them and physically look at them.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like the run switch is not working. The run switch will give you no fuel pump and no starter if it is off. Check the switch for power through the switch if that is good you will have to start tracing wires. If not, trace power to switch not sure if 99 has a run relay or not? Fuse blown? Sorry but it has to be something you wired, bike was okay before bar change.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

I confirmed that the wiring was ok after I extended them, the problem started when wires got pinched. I confirmed that the run/kill switch works last night with the ohm meter, kill position switch open run position switch closed. No power goes to the switch I think it just enables the relay when closed (I'm electrically challenged so bear with me if I don't describe something right). I removed all the fuses and visually checked them, then thought maybe one failed in a spot I couldn't see so I pulled them again and checked with the meter.

I think what I'll do tonight is replace fuses just in case, take the battery and have it load checked, and swap a known good relay in for the starter and fuel pump relays. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove the ignition block to install your bars. That happened to me too. Everything worked but the fuel pump and starter. There are three wires that plug into the block. I found that one of the leads was not seated fully. Just another idea for you.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

Not sure what the ignition block is. If you're referring to the ignition key switch, no I didn't need to remove that. I pulled the bars & controls off, extended the wires, replaced idle/throttle/clutch cables & front brake lines then put it back together.