Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to those who have a low hauler

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default to those who have a low hauler

just picked up an 05 haulmark low hauler 7x12. really looking forward to getting my wife away from the busy roads where i live a getting more into the sticks so she will get very comfortable riding. this will be a great tool for us.

i love everything abouth this trailer except the swale near the ramp door when open. i understand why it needs to be there, but wonder if any of you have gotten creative about filling the hole to make it easier to load and unload the bikes. i was thinking about getting some diamond plate and either hinging it to the ramp door somehow or just affix it to one of the sides so when the door is down, i can just put it over the swale and have a straight/level shot out.

what are your experiences or what have you done.

thx - tin

Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low Hauler

I sold mine in 08 when I bought my SG. I can tell you I completely re-did the whole interior. Checker board floor, diamond plate where the bike rolled in (single bike only), diamond plate storage boxes up front and a spare tire carrier up front with a diamond plate box to cover it. I never had an issue loading or unloading the bike or bikes because of the "swail" you're talking about. I had mine set up for 1 or 2 bikes. It was a 6x12. I used a Condor chock for the 1 bike set up and 2 removable Pingles for the 2 bike setup. The Condor chock let me drive right into and get off the bike without any assistance so the swail was never an issue I guess because I drove right over it. The Condor chock was the best money spent in that trailer. I don't know what you're using for a chock but the Condor with let you ride right into it. I know I haven't given you a solution but maybe the chock issue helps in the long run. I have to admit I miss not having a trailer. Oh well win some, loose some. The picture with the chock in it was right before i bought the Condor...I hope this helps some how.

Attached Thumbnails to those who have a low hauler-trailer-006.jpg   to those who have a low hauler-trailer-007.jpg   to those who have a low hauler-trailer-003.jpg   to those who have a low hauler-trailer-009.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
hutch4
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ramp door

Haulmark makes a flap that is hinged on the top of the door. The hinge is called a paino hinge. We bought a new Haulmark last fall. We had the flap installed on ours. It isn't a very exspensive option. It can be added to any trailer. Hutch

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hutch4
Haulmark makes a flap that is hinged on the top of the door. The hinge is called a paino hinge. We bought a new Haulmark last fall. We had the flap installed on ours. It isn't a very exspensive option. It can be added to any trailer. Hutch
I have a 28 ft KZ toy hauler and pretty much the same set up , you can also jack up the front of the trailer to take the hump out if you have much will keep the bike from hitting on the bottom

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Overdoo
I sold mine in 08 when I bought my SG. I can tell you I completely re-did the whole interior. Checker board floor, diamond plate where the bike rolled in (single bike only), diamond plate storage boxes up front and a spare tire carrier up front with a diamond plate box to cover it. I never had an issue loading or unloading the bike or bikes because of the "swail" you're talking about. I had mine set up for 1 or 2 bikes. It was a 6x12. I used a Condor chock for the 1 bike set up and 2 removable Pingles for the 2 bike setup. The Condor chock let me drive right into and get off the bike without any assistance so the swail was never an issue I guess because I drove right over it. The Condor chock was the best money spent in that trailer. I don't know what you're using for a chock but the Condor with let you ride right into it. I know I haven't given you a solution but maybe the chock issue helps in the long run. I have to admit I miss not having a trailer. Oh well win some, loose some. The picture with the chock in it was right before i bought the Condor...I hope this helps some how.
great pics - and thank you for spell checking me on swail. love what you did. do you remember where you got the spare tire cover? beautiful.

tin

Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hutch4
thanks hutch. the swail i am speaking of is actually in the trailer, not outside. its there because of the low height and how the ramp door mechanism works. i have the flap on the end of the ramp already - guess i'm looking to see if anyone rigged a flap for the other end.

tin

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

if you use a pair of car ramps to back your pulling vehicle's back wheels up on, it'll raise the tongue of your trailer thereby lowering the back of your trailer making the angle much less severe. give it a try, i assure you, it works great.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tincup64
great pics - and thank you for spell checking me on swail. love what you did. do you remember where you got the spare tire cover? beautiful.

tin
Thanks for the compliments. I re did the interior myself. All the diamond plate stuff I fabricated. I made the spare tire mounting bracket and then fabricated the the box to fit it. Same with the cabinets. They had shelves in them and hinged down. When I paneled the interior over the original plywood I boxed out the front (Haulmark had that rounded nose) and made a header there to accomadate the boxes. Wish I still had it!!