Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anbody else out there with monotube issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default *update* Anbody else out there with monotube issues?

Had a clunk in the front end after installing my monotubes, in the 2" lowered setting. Contacted Progressive about it and was given list of items to check to verify that the problem was infact inside the fork tube..........it was.
Fast forward about three weeks (too lazy to pull the front end all apart just yet) and I'm riding into a parking lot yesterday, hit the entrance lip, get the usual "CLUNK", except it sounded a little louder, and lost the front suspension. Wound up riding my "hardnose" (hardtail in reverse) home about 7 or 8 miles with no front suspension, fender about an inch from the lower tree cover.
Can't see it being anything but a monotube failure, guess I'll find out this weekend when I tear it all back down. Just an FYI to those out there with a clunk......I'd look into it.
I'll post up the results of the teardown and Progressive's response next week.
Ride safe.

5/10/2011: Took the front end back apart last night and found nothing wrong!

The front suspension was fully compressed when I put it on the lift and even stayed that way when I jacked up the front of the bike. The front wheel was off the lift table and the front suspension remained fully compressed. Took off the caliper then the axle & wheel then the fender. As I was sliding the tubes out of the triple trees I noticed that they didn't appear to be compressed anymore. Put the bottom of the lower legs on the floor and pushed on the top, the tube went into the lower without much weight pushing on it but was smooth and did return. Took the legs apart and found nothing wrong. Boxed up the monotubes and shipped back to Progressive (as per them) and am waiting on their inspection.
The amount of effort it took to compress the tubes (assembled) seemed light despite the springs and shocks appearing to be ok.
Ideas?
I'm stumped, fixin' to call American Suspension and run it by them.

Okay, just got off the phone with American Suspension, they've sold 4,000 of their bagger legs with no issues like mine. Looks like it's Progressive's issue, we'll see.

Last edited by TexasSG; 05-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

How many miles you got on em?
I had them in my old bike, but it was stolen about 2 months after I put them in.
I never did have a clunk , they were nice I thought, but I had them all the way up.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I ran them on my last bike in the 1" lower setting, they were great, never an issue

Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bill03E
How many miles you got on em?
I had them in my old bike, but it was stolen about 2 months after I put them in.
I never did have a clunk , they were nice I thought, but I had them all the way up.
I guess about 1300, my brother & I did and Ironbutt (1070 miles) a few days after I put em in.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems with mine which is version C. Installed regular height with both C-clip spacers. actually lowered the stock height by about 1".

Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

update......bump.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
StreetPilot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am having that bump (sounds like its bottoming out) with my progressive lowerd mono tubes. I took the forks apart 2x and even brought them to the "locat $tealer" thinking I must be too incompetent to do a relatively simple install. I still have the bump and way too much $$$ and time into this front end.

If you find a solution please do share as I am about ready to go back to stock.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by StreetPilot
I also am having that bump (sounds like its bottoming out) with my progressive lowerd mono tubes. I took the forks apart 2x and even brought them to the "locat $tealer" thinking I must be too incompetent to do a relatively simple install. I still have the bump and way too much $$$ and time into this front end.

If you find a solution please do share as I am about ready to go back to stock.
I'll be sure to do that. Another forum member, Stupid Rope I believe, had mentioned that his front end (Progressive monotube lowered 2") was clunking too but wasn't going to worry about it until it presented a larger problem. Still unsure as to why my front end locked up in the compressed position though.

Last edited by TexasSG; 05-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did you install your monotubes? Do you happen to have the boxes? Is there a production date? I have mine sitting in my shop and have not installed them yet. I hope I don't have any problems.

Good luck finding out what's up and thanks for sharing with us!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
When did you install your monotubes? Do you happen to have the boxes? Is there a production date? I have mine sitting in my shop and have not installed them yet. I hope I don't have any problems.

Good luck finding out what's up and thanks for sharing with us!
Sorry, no I don't, dropped them at UPS a few hours ago. Funny how I have now heard several responses to clunking issues yet after speaking with three different techs at Progressive they know nothing!

Feel like I'm talking to Schultz!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYpA...eature=related

Quick Reply: Anbody else out there with monotube issues?