Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rk with fork lowers and the deflector under the trees and a stock windshield works well for me. I bought the 11" deflector and it looks cool and offers some protection but until I bought the small deflector I didn't notice how well my setup works with the stock windshield. Very comfy

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, you have to understand the problem and what it is your trying to achive.

Air flow on a motorcycle is a balancing act. A fairing is very much like an airplane wing, in that you are trying to balance high pressure air flow and low pressure air zones.

As air flows over and around the windshield, fairing and everything on the front of the bike a low pressure area is created behind the fairing and windshield. Air will flow to the low pressure.

So. The higher you kick the air flow up over you head with a higher windshield the more air will flow in from under the fairing. This is usually felt as air under the chin.

So what your trying to do is find the best of all evils. And everytime you change something you have to counter act the change.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm leaning road king also.. I was hoping the RG would eliminate a lot of the dirty air that the SG produced.. I like the look of a bigger screen on the RG then the big screen of the RK.. Will wait to hear from others who have compared RG's..

Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually, if you read my post above, I gave you the recepe for making it work. Klockwerk windscreens are designed to create the "bubble" you want....my reference to cigarette is this......if you have buffeting, you can't smoke in it. A straight windscreen does NOT work as well as a Klockwerk screen PERIOD.

Your call....your money....but a different windscreen is ALOT cheaper than a whole new bike.

~Joe

Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I just put a 15in. windvest on my RG and it is great! It really does it`s job keeping the wind down. I`m 5`10"

Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 AM
sandnessmj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Klockwerks 8.5" on my FLHX and it worked REALLY well. I was amazed at how smooth the air was and how much louder the speakers sounded.

I put a 10" Windvest on my new FLTRU, but after playing around with different positions, I think the 12" would be better. I plan on removing the tour pack and using a lower seat for short rides, so that should help.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dialing in the right shield for each individual rider can be a pain on any model bike.
Some people have a collection of windshields before the find the right one.
I went with a Clearview shield on my old Road Glide. The folks at Clearview helped me and the first one they sent was just right for me. I got the GT Small.
I'll probably just stay with stock shield with my Electa Glide. It's a big shield but the protection is great and I don't get any buffeting. Maybe I'll buy a Bow Tie to go with it.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the way the air came from under the fairing (with stock windshield) on my Street Glide and up my chest, I could not keep a hat on in cold weather or rain if I went over 60. I had to wear a vest to keep my shirt from beating my throat to death. With the Road Glide, the stock (short) windshield felt like someone was sitting behind me beating my ears with ping pong paddles. Since I installed the 8" Klock Werks windshield I can wear a hat at 90, (without stapleing it on) and I don't have to wear a vest to keep my shirt from beating me to death. IMO the air is better with the Road Glide, handles a lot better too.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I completely did away with the buffering wind coming up from underneath my SG fairing...........I traded it in for a RKC. Problem solved.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

nice bike...I really like that paint.

With my air deflectors and windscreen, I get ZERO buffeting. Once I added the lowers, I only get a small stream of air between the top of the lowers and the air deflectors.

Very pleasant.

FWIW, the stock windscreen on the SG is worthless.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 05-09-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?