Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have owned them all. Personally I think the RG is very ugly with tall shield so I always had the chopped black shield on which only keeps the wind off your chest. I currently have a 09 RKC and am so surprised at how much protection there is with the stock shield. I actually had to go with a shorter shield because im used to a little wind in my face. I will say the RG did a better job (stock) of cutting the wind then the EGS I had. Good luck, if your not into the tunes then you cant go wrong with a RK. RK is stripped compared to your SG though. Can you live without the air temp guage...LOL

Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I rode all 3 extensively when I bought my 2010...I settled on the RK with stock windshield - it does a great job no buffeting at all. I also have HD fabric lowers for cold
weather - no problem there either

Get a RK you will not be sorry

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I also went with the road king..only thing is I wish the wind shield was wider at the bottom to give my hands more protection...and I cut 2 inches off of the top, which (for me) helps me see over it better and the bike handles better (feels less top heavy)...but still no "real" buffeting....

Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones
I hated the way the air came from under the fairing (with stock windshield) on my Street Glide and up my chest, I could not keep a hat on in cold weather or rain if I went over 60. I had to wear a vest to keep my shirt from beating my throat to death. With the Road Glide, the stock (short) windshield felt like someone was sitting behind me beating my ears with ping pong paddles. Since I installed the 8" Klock Werks windshield I can wear a hat at 90, (without stapleing it on) and I don't have to wear a vest to keep my shirt from beating me to death. IMO the air is better with the Road Glide, handles a lot better too.
Good info.. How tall are you, and where does the wind hit now with the 8"?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You could get a big plastic bubble...like the boy in the bubble. Or, learn to enjoy the wind in your face. Or...stay the F home. Sorry...these "buffeting" threads drive me nuts...but...can't resist reading all the angst.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

Originally Posted by spider14043
You could get a big plastic bubble...like the boy in the bubble. Or, learn to enjoy the wind in your face. Or...stay the F home. Sorry...these "buffeting" threads drive me nuts...but...can't resist reading all the angst.
Or you could not read the Fing threads that cause you angst, or maybe contribute something useful, or keep your opinion to yourself..

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 RED RK
I rode all 3 extensively when I bought my 2010...I settled on the RK with stock windshield - it does a great job no buffeting at all. I also have HD fabric lowers for cold
weather - no problem there either

Get a RK you will not be sorry
Same here, RK best of the bunch.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior

I've owned all three.

RK has the least turbulence of all three bikes. SG second best, RG is worst for creating a buffeting effect.

Fairings *generate* turbulence. Windshields simply relocate the point at which the turbulence is most abrupt.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
I've owned all three.

RK has the least turbulence of all three bikes. SG second best, RG is worst for creating a buffeting effect.

Fairings *generate* turbulence. Windshields simply relocate the point at which the turbulence is most abrupt.
+1. I wouldn't even look at a Road Glide if you don't have the patience to attack the various areas... Took some time for me to get it right.

lp

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like you have your heart set on a RG.

Best thing to do, IMHO, is sit on one...measure with a measuring tape up to the tip of your nose and go with that.

~Joe

Quick Reply: RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?