Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2014 SG wind vents and buffeting...

I think trading in a bike for buffeting is ludacrist because buffeting can be solved. Many of you are right on this thread about the aerodynamics of needing to "dial in" any bike you get if you want to minimize buffeting.

The nose to top of windshield measure trick has seemed to work for me in buying and cutting windshields in my past. But this is my first bagger, my brand new 2 week old 2014 SG.

I get buffeting and my glasses "float" after 70 Mph or so even with the new cool looking vent they invented that cuts it down a little, not a lot, but a little at that speed. The new rushmore vent is good below 60 and being able to close it will come in handy in the rain. But I still think you will need to upgrade from stock IMO.

So I'm trying different demo shields at my dealer to dial it in. HD will let you borrow the HD and Klockworks demo shields for as many days as you want to try the different sizes. Not a bad deal before you go spend $200.00? You get to dial it in for free by trying them all out. I'm 5'10" and I'll let you know what I pick out with my stock seat. I'm guessing I will like the 7" or 8" windscreens over the 4" stock one that comes on the bike.

Dialing in the bike is a science. For example, no one has mentioned seat position or height? Height of the bike itself? Is it a lowered bike?, Etc.

What about the type of glasses you are wearing? Do they fit correctly? Helmet? What kind? Do you need to be less concerned with buffeting if you ride with a full face helmet? Etc.

I'm glad to hear that the batwing fairing wind deflectors and the crash bar leg lowers are worth it so I will be getting those eventually too. My goal is to hear great audio at 80 Mph and be able to smoke at at least 65.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

6'1" and 240, and the stock shield on my RK is about even with my nose. I have the fork deflectors on, and have no issue with buffeting. I do get the dreaded beard lift from the air current underneath; I either tie it up or take off the shield. To me, it's just part of the experience...

Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM
!_gofasterok
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my 2 cents on this wind buffeting. I was at my local stealer and tried all their h-d demo windshields. I am 5'6 2012 EG Limited all shields tried ditto, my vision sight was not over top. The one I think 7 or 8 inch smoked I ran 1/2 mile down road took back. I then tried the 10 inch ..well I made it home but right where it bends is where my vision was looking through. The freaken wires on the telephone poles were bending and curling. I had to crouch down behind shield to make it home safely.
The next day took back put the big giant stock shield back on. The Wife and I went for a long day ride.
The rain came hard, got pelted. I did have protection behind big ugly stock windshield. Wife says now aren't you glad you had that shield in rain? Gggrrrrr well yes but not the look I want.
My location is eastern Pa. 1 hr from Harrissburg 1 hr. From Phila.
I have heard through these threads Gettysburg HD has Klockworks demos. This is the shield I want to try.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I have none on my RK or at least not noticeable.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I look over the top of my RK shield, about nose high and have no buffeting. I did have beard lift from air coming up but the fork mounted HD deflectors took care of that. Wife and I can cruise 85 all day on our King.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 PM
East Coast
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2011 SG I installed an air baffle, installed a set of wings on the fairing and use an 8" Freedom Shield windshield with the recurve. I do get some air coming up off the lowers which is nothing really, with the lowers off its no issue at all. Buffeting is no longer an issue for me.

FWIW I tried the 8.5" KW shield, it was okay. The Freedom Shield is the best windshield I have tried so far.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I ended the buffeting on my SG , traded for a 14 RK.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Just traded a '13 RGU for a 14' RK. Had a madstad on the RGU and zero buffeting. With the detachable shield on the RK, slightly more wind but no buffeting.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 AM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

'12 Street Glide, got some head bobble/buffeting with the stock WS so for <$100 bought a 6" FastAire recurve and switched from a polo helmet to a Akoury beanie. Problem solved, still get air (rode a naked bobber for years so wind in the face is acceptable) but no more buffeting.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

All of us are different physically, with different preceptions and sensitivites. I'm a little dwarfish, so while I sit tall in the saddle, my limbs are short. So I'm forward on the seat compared to many. I don't care or even notice wind on my legs or lower body, but am hyper sensitive to having my head joggled. My 04 RK has the moco tall windshield, and nothing else. I'm quite happy with this setup. I feel a mild breeze in my bubble, and nothing more. Doesn't matter the speed, the breeze seems to stay the same. I have not found anywhere that there is violent air, and my legs are not being pushed around nor are my pants riding up my calves.

Quick Reply: RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?