Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Hang Around
Default Ultra Classic charging system

I recently bought my first Harley, a '02 Ultra Classic Electra Glide with 9k miles. The bike began to have trouble starting when I did not keep it on the trickle chager and the volt meter began to show low voltage. Then one day when the check engine light came on during a ride I took it back to house and found loose battery terminals. I charged up the battery and headed out again. The volt meter again showed low voltage, then the check engine light came on again. Again I headed back to the house. This time the light began to dim, the volt meter reading continued to drop, and while running at 60 mph the engine shut down. My muti-meter indicates that the alternator is puting out the correct A-C current. Are there other areas I can check before I go the dealer? I am an old car guy that is new to motorcycles.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Road Captain

Yes..... Check the ground on the starter. Most over look this ground but it has a major part to the motor The ground bolt is very hard to get to but I only had to sighten it about a half a turn and that solved my problem. Ask me how I know.. You might also want to look at replacing the battery if it is that old. It would not hurt anything.

06 Ultra Classic now has 60K miles
S&S 510 geared cams
V&H true duals and slash cuts
V&H fuel pak
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Rider

If the ststor is putting out the right AC volts (somewhere in the area of 20-22 at idle) then I would check the voltage regulator. Check the internet and this forum for tips on how to check. I used these tips to find that my stator was fried. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If the ststor is putting out the right AC volts (somewhere in the area of 20-22 at idle) then I would check the voltage regulator. Check the internet and this forum for tips on how to check. I used these tips to find that my stator was fried. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC
If it is the voltage regulator do a search here on the net and buy a cycle electric regulator they are a great regulator... I had the sane problem with my 04 ultra...Went with the cycle electric and no more problems..... Another thing if you shop around they are cheaper than the H. D. regulator and IMHO mutch better quality.....
S/E heavy breather Stage 2 download
V/H fuel Pack tuner
Thrush slash cuts with 2 1/2 baffels
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight 04 View Post
If it is the voltage regulator do a search here on the net and buy a cycle electric regulator they are a great regulator... I had the sane problem with my 04 ultra...Went with the cycle electric and no more problems..... Another thing if you shop around they are cheaper than the H. D. regulator and IMHO mutch better quality.....
Not a big fan of HD charging systems. I bought mine at 23,900 miles after the previous owner had replaced the stator / regulator at 19,000.

Lost the stator again at 32,000 miles. And yet again at 62,000 miles.

Installed a "3 Phase" charging system, ( mine was from Compu-Fire but there are others too,) at 62,000 miles and she's still running strong at 88,000. Electric vests, gloves whatever, you can't pull the voltage down from 2000 rpm and up, very strong. And it supposedly runs cooler, the bane on stators is heat.

Harley hasn't upgraded that technology in years. Eventually they'll come along, but not yet.

2000 FLTRSEI Stage II 95" Big Bore with Andrews 26 Gear Drives,and a Patriot Defender 2 into 1 Exhaust.
A pick up truck ran the stop sign 2/26/14, and I built a "Screamin' Eagle Road King" out of the salvage.
(And I have a '04 BMW R1200 CL now too.)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 AM

P