Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing speaker cover for better sound

Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacing speaker cover for better sound

The stock Harley speaker covers seem pretty restrictive. I'm wondering if anyone has simply replaced them with a metal mesh grill and, if so, did that make any difference in the sound quality?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing just the cover will only make the housing look different. It will not affect sound in any perceptible way. If you want better sound you'll need better speakers.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer

Take it off and see (or hear) for yourself. They are just low end speakers made in China.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have many years of experience playing lead guitar and bass guitar in bands and I can tell you that the speaker "cloth" (as it's called on guitar amps) can affect the sound.

The stock system on my '11 Street Glide is already bright enough, so I wouldn't want to put something less "restrictive" over it. Seriously.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Klockwerks aluminum

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
00rg
Intermediate

I put the metal mesh speaker cover over my old boston acoustic pros and there was a pretty big difference between the mesh and stock covers, you could hear a very noticable difference in the volume.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM
mikecourthd
Cruiser

Change the speakers at the same time. If you are going to go thru the trouble of taking everything apart change it all.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The material cover has nothing to do with it. Some of the best speakers in the world, including recording monitors have cloth covers. Sound passes through them and the distortion cuased by the material is not audible to the human ear.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00rg
I put the metal mesh speaker cover over my old boston acoustic pros and there was a pretty big difference between the mesh and stock covers, you could hear a very noticable difference in the volume.

Metal vs Material mesh, yes for sure. but just materail. I'm not so sure. I would have to hear it to believe there is that much of a difference. JMO

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
onedae
Cruiser

I should have mentioned earlier that I already changed from the stock speakers to Hogtunes speakers with the tweeter pods. While the sound is much better than stock, I'm wondering if it might be even better with speaker grills such as the Klockwerks aluminum grills referred to above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing speaker cover for better sound