Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the old term for that wobble was a "tank slapper". it's been around ever since motorcycles were invented. it can almost be assured that you will have something loose in your steering neck bearings, axle clamp, wheel bearings, handlebar mounts, etc. anything that isn't set up right and has some play can cause that dreaded tank slapper. there are a whole lot more things that can cause it, but paying attention to the maintenance and tire pressure, etc, keeping stuff correctly tight and torqued, can eliminate most of the potential problems for the condition to happen. i look at it as coming from any sort of harmonics or oscillation that's looking for a place to happen.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used to have the same discussion on the Goldwing forums when I was riding a Wing. Glad to see it followed me here.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 10ring
My wife saw something about the pre-2009 "death wobble". She now wants me to trade-in my '08 for a 2012 in a couple of months.
Hmmmm, mine just wants me to up my Life Insurance

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

July 1st, 1968 I got a “Speed wobble” while exceeding the posted speed limit. The bike was a 1955 panhead, hard tail with an old Springer front-end.

I tried to slow down but it got worse. I accelerated back to the original speed. The wobble didn’t go away and I ended up getting thrown off the bike. The Springer was worn out and I didn’t know anything about bike maintenance back then. Very bad day for me.

I developed a slight wobble on my 1986 just before going on a long trip. I took it to the dealer and they tightened the steering head bearings. That solved the problem.
I had a 2006 Goldwing that had a wobble during deceleration around 40 mph (normal on some Goldwings). When I got a new set of tires (different manufacturer) the wobble disappeared.

Don’t mess with a wobble, even a slight wobble. They can ruin your perfect day of riding.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was experiencing excessive front end & fairing vibration (not frame) and some wobble. Ended up my neck bearings were out of spec 2x on my 09 (19K miles).

On some of my older bikes (hard tails & springers) I experienced this. In the 80's just referred to it as HSW. More often than not once your in it, you ain't getting out of it.

Last edited by outgood; 05-17-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 Ultra Limited wobbles, unlike my 08 Street Glide, in which I can take hands off the bars and cost without any wobble. The 2010 Ultra is the only Harley I've ever owned that does this. I'll wait till the 2012's come out and test ride a Road Glide and make a decision.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
2%er OG
Advanced

Very reason I joined the forum two weeks ago. Experienced excessive high speed wobble for the first time coming out of flagstaff on 40 first at speeds over 80 when changing lanes hitting the little grind outs for the reflectors, let off on gas it would go away about barstow passing trucks started setting the wobble a going held her down below 70 coasted in to La stayed the night with friends next day coming up 5 the grapevine had to get in the truck lane it was that unmanageable got to the flats it tamed up pretty good. low on funds just 500 miles to home. stupid I know. Now the bike stay in the garage till funding allows for glide pro new back tire and I fell educated enough to tackle the neck berrings

Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the MOCO's way of telling you to keep your hands on the bars!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
My 2010 Ultra Limited wobbles, unlike my 08 Street Glide, in which I can take hands off the bars and cost without any wobble. The 2010 Ultra is the only Harley I've ever owned that does this. I'll wait till the 2012's come out and test ride a Road Glide and make a decision.
My '11 glide does it at low speeds sans hands....so does all my buddies EG Ultra's (the ones that have tried it)

Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Weebles Wobble but they DO fall down!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death wobble?