Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes 7" Woofers in Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts
Default Hogtunes 7" Woofers in Lowers

Due to the crazy cold Spring we've had I haven't had time to finish installing the Hogtunes 7" Woofers for the lowers and new NCA 160 watt (40 watt x 4 channel0 amp that I bought 2 months ago. When I started my 2009 Streetglide had the following:

1. Hogtunes 902.2 40 watt speakers in the fairing.
2. Hogpod tweeters
3. Hogtunes 902.2 50 watt speakers in lowers
4. Hogtunes USA 24.2 amplifier powering the lower speakers

Unfortunately, the 40 watt speakers in the fairing both blew out, so I took the 50 watt speakers out of the lowers and put them in the fairings. So far, so good. I had hoped to use the same wiring to the lowers with the 7" woofers but after going through the whole installation process I realized the old wiring would not hook up to the new amp. Had to strip them back a bit and remove the old wiring. At this point, the weather got cold again for a month or more and I just didn't get a chance to finish.

Fast forward to yesterday, May 15. Decided to finish the job. Read the destructions and did what it said. They described how to do the amp install in Road Glides and Ultras with tour pack speakers. Set the amp to 4 channel. Then the problems started. It said to install the rear speaker wiring and the power cables. But I don't have a tour pack with speakers. So I leave that cable set off. Now I'm stumped. The amp instructions are no help. There is nothing in there about setting it up with the 7" Woofers in the lowers. Back to the computer. Watched several silent vids on Hogtunes website. Read several sets of instructions for various speaker combos. None fit my system.

Then I grabbed the instructions that came with the 7" Woofers. Ok, I actually got them hooked up to the amp. It's playtime. Hooked up the iPod to the front of the radio. Fired it all up. Fantastic sound coming out of the fairing speakers and tweeters. Clear as a bell. Nothing from the woofers. Silence. Stopped and read all the instructions 3 times. Then it dawned on me. These instructions were for a 4 channel system using the tour pack speakers. The radio on the Streetglide is not programmed for use with the rear speakers using the fade option. Flipped the switch over to 2 channel and voila! I have sound coming out of the woofers in the lowers.

I zip tied all the cables so they looked neat. Buttoned up the fairing and took a ride. Hot damn this baby rocks. Loud and clear sound. Even some decent bass response. Not the gut thumping you'd get with real dedicated woofers but the next best thing. Kept looking over my shoulder for John Law figuring I'd get stopped for a violation of some noise ordinance. Yeah, it was that good.

Bottom line is that I had to think outside of the box a bit, but got it all hooked up. It's as good as I care to have. Yeah I could get louder but I'd have to spend a lot more money.

-------------------------------

Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I had the same problem with my install. I read the amp instructions front to back and back to front and nowhere did it expalin how to hook it up with the lower fairing speakers. I actually e-mailed Pez and said "WTF?" and THEN read the speaker instructions....OOPS! It all went pretty smooth from that point on. I like my HT system!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 7 woofers in my Ultra and 4 Hogtunes speakers plus the tweeter pod. Great sound. I had the same problem with the two speaker switch, on a weekend. No one on the HT helpline. I thought it through and it was wired as a 2 channel setup. Great sound for the money. T

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hogtunes makes a great product! Some people want more, I'm one of those people, but for the cash they dont get much better then HT. Not to mention Pez and his customer service is the best around!

If your looking for a Tweeter Pod PM me. (sorry to high jack your thread, but I got one that I'm trying to sell, its painted Crimson Red Sunglow, but can always be repainted.

7in woofers sound interesting that for sure... leave it up to Pez to think of new stuff...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats but since there are no pics I don't believe you lol

Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I knew that was coming. I was so busy riding I didn't have time to take pics. I'll post some tonight........after my ride home from work.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

new J&M ROKKER series 7.25" LOWER speaker kits here: http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....252GTM-T&PF=45 ,,,,

they include the intermediate plug in the harness if you want to remove them ,,,,,

they can be connected with the J&M 4-channel 500w amp of course ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....0HC06-SG&PF=45 ,,,, OR ,,,, for the RoadGlide Custom with LOWER fairings see: http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....0HR06-RC&PF=45 ,,,,

they can also be connected to the J&M 2-channel 250w amplifiers with very good results ,,,, as you would wire them in series with the J&M ROKKER series 7.25” fairing speakers, and then re-adjust the gain settings on both channels to compensate for the change in impedance load ,,,,

the J&M amplifiers all have plenty of power on each channel so wiring them to drive 2 speakers on each channel is no big deal at all ,,,,

we have even installed a 6 speaker system on an Ultra, with our 4-channel amp in the fairing, connecting the front 4 speakers to the front channels and the rear two speakers to the rear channels of the amp, then adjusting the gain controls on the front channel to balance it all out ,,,,

an Ultra set up in this 6 speaker configuration will just jump up and down at the higher volumes ,,,,

Old 05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Even some decent bass response. Not the gut thumping you'd get with real dedicated woofers but the next best thing.
This surprises me !! I thought that these would REALLY thump, and be the next new 'fad'.

Congrats on finishing your project !!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

JMJohn...why would you jump into a thread about Hogtunes trying to sell your product??? I've never owned your products and have nothing against you or your business, but it seem a little tacky to me.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

stro1965 ,,,,

I do not believe it is tacky at all ,,, I believe it is important for the hdforums member to know all that is available in the marketplace ,,,,

then they can make their own choices as to which product works best for them ,,,,,

Quick Reply: Hogtunes 7" Woofers in Lowers