Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sirius antenna install

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the benefit of using an FM Direct unit instead of the AUX port?
I thought it's big selling point was to allow connection to a head unit that doesn't have an AUX port.
I can see that keeping the audio connection inside the fairing allows for a cleaner looking install.
But, it's one more component to buy and install. They are cheap and install is easy - if you don't mind taking the outer fairing off.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Net_Geek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is 19.99 and it connects directly to the FM antenna and locks out all other FM signals to the radio so you do not have to use the AUX port that way you can use it for an iPod or other device if you want to use the FM just power off the Sirius. Nice options for mounts here http://www.ram-mount.com/ get about any kind of mount you need and on a Street Glide you can use the mirror mounts and with the multi ball kits have 2 devices mounted on each and no Harley tax great prices.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the SIRIUS Docking Port installed on my right handlebar, not the left. This makes it easy
to change channels without taking my hands away from the handlebars, even with gloves.
I have the antenna on top of the radio using the magnet to hold it. It picks up the signal fine.
I do have the Chrome Windshield frame so I put the antenna toward the top of the radio.
This way the signal will not have any problem getting through the fairing.

I used the CB plate (76313-98) from Harley Hand Held CB Microphone kit (76312-98) to mount the
docking station on the handlebars. I then just taped the cigarette lighter inside the fairing for power.
I used the FM Direct adapter to get the sound in the radio. It plugs in the antenna input. I didn't
want to use the Aux input on the front of the radio. I wanted to keep it clean. This keeps
any local stations on the same frequency from interfering with the signal, but still listen to them.
The SIRIUS antenna is just magnetically mounted on top of the radio inside the fairing.
I have not had any problems with the signal. I made a nylon cover for anytime it rains.
If it starts and I am riding, I can stop and put it over the radio, or just reach up and take it off.
I have been caught in heavy rain before and have not had the SIRIUS damaged from rain.