Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Replacing a Road King Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on Replacing a Road King Windshield

After a lot of research and consideration I have decided to go with the Klock Werks Billboard Flare windshield on my Road King.

Kinda pricey, but after reading the reviews I just had to try one.

They are made out of Lexan w/hardcoating and add 15lbs of downforce to the front of the bike. Best of all to me is they are supposed to virtually eliminate the buffeting.

If it don't work I guess I can try out the LRS 19" windshield I just got delivered. The LRS may be for sale if the Billboard Flare works out.

Do I need to replace the adhesive tape that came on the oem windshield brackets?

I have been told to just clean off all the old adhesive off of the brackets and put it back together without any adhesive.

How should I install it?

Adhesive or not?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 AM
JS999R
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left it on, but more importantly I was told to not torque the windshield bolts all the way down right out of the box. Thats because of an outside chance of the windshield cracking at the curve points. I don't know any better so I turned them down over a 24 hour period, just to play safe. The bike (RK) had a new 14" mini shield on it and this produced major wind buffeting so I ordered an 18" from Harley, one that is just below eye level. I still get annoying wind buffeting, less so with one of my fullface lids, a Vemar. However, I like the comfort of the Harley HJC 3/4. What I know now I should have bought a clearview, heard good things about it. Good luck with yours. Wind buffeting=frustration. Lastly, when I crunch down and look through the shield most of the buffeting goes away, things get quiet for sure. However, I don't know if doing that is representative of what it would be like with even a taller shield, looking through it. I've always looked over the shield, taught that at the CHP academy years ago. But if looking through the shield solves the problem I just might do it, but before that I'd like to try some deflectors first.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a 19 inch Memphis Shade and get no buffering (just below eye level). I had never rode with a windscreen before I got my RK, now I won't ride a slab without one, so much more relaxing, plus don't feel beat up when I get where I am going

Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed mine to a 19" Longride and I just left the tape on there and reused it. I would say if it comes off clean and in one piece just reuse it. Worked for me. Let us know how the Klock werks performs please.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced with a Clearview and their instructions didn't mention using the tape so I didn't. Besides, I figured that if all those bolts came out at once a little tape wouldn't help me much.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This is interesting, has anyone use the KW version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmd17s0MLOU

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
After a lot of research and consideration I have decided to go with the Klock Werks Billboard Flare windshield on my Road King.

Kinda pricey, but after reading the reviews I just had to try one.

They are made out of Lexan w/hardcoating and add 15lbs of downforce to the front of the bike. Best of all to me is they are supposed to virtually eliminate the buffeting.

If it don't work I guess I can try out the LRS 19" windshield I just got delivered. The LRS may be for sale if the Billboard Flare works out.

Do I need to replace the adhesive tape that came on the oem windshield brackets?

I have been told to just clean off all the old adhesive off of the brackets and put it back together without any adhesive.

How should I install it?

Adhesive or not?
I know I may be bias, however I recommend that you try out both. If it's function you're after, then the LRS will do a much better job on the wind, and personally, I like the looks of the LRS better. On the install, if there is tape, just leave it on. It will actually help matters during install.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
I know I may be bias, however I recommend that you try out both. If it's function you're after, then the LRS will do a much better job on the wind, and personally, I like the looks of the LRS better. On the install, if there is tape, just leave it on. It will actually help matters during install.

Thanks for the info on the tape.

Yea, it may be that the LRS is just as good or better.

I just wanted to try the Billboard Flare to see if its as good as they say it is. They have really touted this thing to be the best.

The wind tunnel testing and the downforce claim to improve handling intrigued me.

The LRS 19" that I ordered is a great looking piece. The quality for the price is terrific.

At this point I'm not saying that the Klock Werks is any better than any brand of windshield, but I just had to try it.