Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the power duals on the 11 FLHTK, but also have the fuelpak and it runs great. Nice low end torque, much cooler.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EricFLTRU
Ahhh...grasshopper....but you make the assumption that the tune is a canned tune when in actuality it would be a tune from a bike that Jamie actually dyno'ed in his shop with the exact same configuration as the one the OP was talking about. Year, make, model, breather/air cleaner, pipes, etc. Then Jamie saves the map from the actual dyno and then gives it to his customers as part of the deal. So you see sir, it's actually a pretty good approach. Now, granted, if you have some super duper custom engine work or some high performance custom engine mods that is something else - but we're talking about essentially a stock ride with stock bolt on mods where one dyno map should work on two identical bikes assuming the components are the same. Check it out for yourself - you might change your "tune" - LOL. Just sayin'.... ...and by the way, when I say "custom" tune I am referring to Jamie's personal stash of dyno maps - not the "canned" tunes that come from DynoJet already installed on the device.
So what you are saying is that every engine made has exactly the same performance and exact same tolerances. No way, ever heard of manufacturing tolerances? Those tolerances are the reasons that not every bike performs exactly the same. Because of that, there is no substitution for a tune of a dyno bike done by a compatent tuner.

Now granted, they are pretty close to all being the same. The maps that Fuel Moto supply are generally speaking very good and for the most part get the job done. However, I still stand by statement that they are not a "custom" tune. They are more like a suit seperate at the department store. A custom suit means I go to a tailor and have MY body measured and the cloth made to fit ME, not the standard measurements for size 48 jacket.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 AM
EricFLTRU
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
So what you are saying is that every engine made has exactly the same performance and exact same tolerances. No way, ever heard of manufacturing tolerances? Those tolerances are the reasons that not every bike performs exactly the same. Because of that, there is no substitution for a tune of a dyno bike done by a compatent tuner.

Now granted, they are pretty close to all being the same. The maps that Fuel Moto supply are generally speaking very good and for the most part get the job done. However, I still stand by statement that they are not a "custom" tune. They are more like a suit seperate at the department store. A custom suit means I go to a tailor and have MY body measured and the cloth made to fit ME, not the standard measurements for size 48 jacket.
Of course I am NOT saying that ALL engines are "exactly" the same down to the tolerances, etc, etc. But on the other hand do those tolerances really matter in practical application when comparing two 2011 103cc FLTR's as an example. What I am saying is that the tunes Jamie provides as part of his total package and ongoing support ($499 out the door with the PV) are more than acceptable and unless you are doing something beyond recreational riding where every drop of horsepower and performance counts I would argue that paying HD for a race tuner ($500), paying for a custom dyno tune ($300) and then praying that the guy that did the tune knows what he is doing just doesn't make sense - especially with all the other things you get with PowerVision, like touch screen, automated diagnostics, new O2 sensor based auto-tune and the ability to reload, replace, update and manage your bike's overall ECM internals without paying $86 an hour each time you want to make a change is a way better solution for "most" of us that aren't on a race track. The key metric here is "practical application" vs. the money spent and the performance gained. The PV solution from FuelMotoUSA/Dynojet is just a better value for "most" of us - IMHO of course.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and the vance and hines high output mufflers will also work on the stock motor and run just fine.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Micky J
Got a set of power duals and high out put slip ons trough my local harley dealer, bought as a new package with bike.
Only problem is they can not tune the bike with these power dual headers on.

Have swapped different slip ons and still can't tune in. Seems there is not enough bottom end back pressure, ok at 2500 rpm and above. So they have put the original headers back on with my high output slip ons and presto it runs beautiful.

Has anybody here had trouble with the power dual header pipes?

All Vance & Hines tell me is they have no trouble tuning this setup with their fuel pack. Surely the problem isn't in the tuner?

2011 Street Glide 103 211 cams SE pro tuner

Mick
i wonder if they are putting the O2 sensors in reversed on the v and h

Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not think that the power duals and Monster Rounds or the Oval exhaust would be a problem to tune on a dyno.
Got them on my 2011 and will have bike on dyno in another 300 miles ( 1K ) mark.
I will post and note any issues.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Micky J
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I do not think that the power duals and Monster Rounds or the Oval exhaust would be a problem to tune on a dyno.
Got them on my 2011 and will have bike on dyno in another 300 miles ( 1K ) mark.
I will post and note any issues.

That will be good to see the results. I think the dyno tech at my dealer is new to the job, so that could be an issue. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with the power duals.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

I had my Power Duals Dynoed and the bike runs great. Dave at JD's drilled two small holes in the baffle of the right side pipe, and slipped the O2 sniffers up past the "X".
Your Tuner should be using sniffer tubes and not be relying on the O2 sensors for AFR readings.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Went thru the same issue a month ago running Pythons with the plugs popped out. Theres no right tune for it but Jamie at Fuel Moto sent me a starting point though I did add 255 cams. Went to the Auto Tune and haven't looked back.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Dbaudio
Advanced

My mechanic / dyno guy at the HD dealership installed my V & H Power Duals & Hi-output Slip ons on my '10 FLHX & tuned it and I'll tell 'ya it runs GREAT...absolutely no complaints from me in 10K driven since

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX