Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil brand do you use? Dealer told me they will not warranty amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I SPY
I run AMSOIL in all three holes. Auto/motorcycle mfgs. can't tell you what brand oil you can/can't use as long as it meets specs in your manual. I'd take my bsiness elsewhere. JMHO
Note#1 in Table 44 of my OM states we can do our own services if we are qualified. I got a freind who is a HD factory trained mechanic to do my 1000 mile service. Asked him about the oils. Just as long as it meets or exceeds factory specifications.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
And remember, they must PROVE that whatever aftermarket oil or parts you might have used actually CAUSED the failure in order for them to void a warrenty.

They won't put it in writing, because if they said you have to use HD oil, then by law, they MUST supply it FREE

Its unfortunate, but you have a dealer that is trying to use scare tactics in order to enhance his bussiness, and get more money out of you, by giving you bullshit info.
Interesting, you could provide which code and section that is in cause I would like to print it out and keep a copy in my saddle bag.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from flint. Thanks for all the info!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Some time ago a thread appeared here asking for us to relate our best dealer stories, and some real doosies were revealed. This one isn't the worst I've seen, nor the first time it's been uttered by a dealer. So far the worst is the infamous "skating bearing" myth that was perpetrated by some HD dealers 10-15 years ago, and although not openly embraced by HD it was also not roundly denigrated as it deserved to be. For those of you not familiar with it, it was said in the days before HD sold synthetic oil that if you used synthetics in your bike the oil was so slick it would cause the bearings to "skate," or spin without rolling. I won't go into the engineering or other rational ramifications of this ludicrous claim, but every now and again this one comes back from out of the woodwork. It always amazes me when it does.

Anyway, Amsoil is fine as is any other 20w50, 15w50, or 20w60 motor oil. All synthetic products sold in the U.S. must meet API and government performance requirement and it's all good, so take your pick based on price, availability, or even your own prejudices. Some years ago I posed this question of using non-HD oil to their telephone tech support and I was told that anything meeting the spec will keep your warranty intact. That's the truth, the legal requirement, and simply the right answer. Any other is wrong.

Originally Posted by hog95023
Interesting, you could provide which code and section that is in cause I would like to print it out and keep a copy in my saddle bag.
It's USC 2302(c).

Last edited by iclick; 05-29-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
They won't put it in writing, because if they said you have to use HD oil, then by law, they MUST supply it FREE
Hadn't heard this one before. Just curious...which law exactly is that?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hell my local Dealership SELLS quarts of Amsoil, so that's how much your guy knows about it.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 PM
jlkansascity
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I heard the "skating bearing" story just a couple of weeks ago...

I heard the "skating bearing" myth just a couple of weeks ago. It's not dead yet! I had taken my 2000 Neon in for a Missouri inspection, and they were trying to upsell me on everything including an oil change even though the car has 218,000 miles on Amsoil. The talk turned to HD, and the manager said they hate synthetics because it makes the bearings skate. I have two HD's, so I asked him if he knew that HD now makes, pushes and sells their own Synthetic now (Syn3) and he didn't even know that.

Originally Posted by iclick
Some time ago a thread appeared here asking for us to relate our best dealer stories, and some real doosies were revealed. This one isn't the worst I've seen, nor the first time it's been uttered by a dealer. So far the worst is the infamous "skating bearing" myth that was perpetrated by some HD dealers 10-15 years ago, and although not openly embraced by HD it was also not roundly denigrated as it deserved to be. For those of you not familiar with it, it was said in the days before HD sold synthetic oil that if you used synthetics in your bike the oil was so slick it would cause the bearings to "skate," or spin without rolling. I won't go into the engineering or other rational ramifications of this ludicrous claim, but every now and again this one comes back from out of the woodwork. It always amazes me when it does.

Anyway, Amsoil is fine as is any other 20w50, 15w50, or 20w60 motor oil. All synthetic products sold in the U.S. must meet API and government performance requirement and it's all good, so take your pick based on price, availability, or even your own prejudices. Some years ago I posed this question of using non-HD oil to their telephone tech support and I was told that anything meeting the spec will keep your warranty intact. That's the truth, the legal requirement, and simply the right answer. Any other is wrong.

It's USC 2302(c).

Old 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Just curious which oils you're using. I'm going to be switching to a full synth but I don't want to pay a premium price for Harley davidson oil when I know all I'm paying extra for is a label.

Where can I find out the truth on what oil a dealer will not warranty? I typically use a full synth mobil 1 in my cars.
Ask him if it's OK to run Citgo oil..If he says no, then tell him Citgo makes Harley oil.

Mark

Old 05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Thanks!!! Good reading,

Edit, re read for the 3rd time and found what I was overlooking. I will be keeping a printed copy handy.

Last edited by hog95023; 05-29-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Either you are lying or the dealer is. I suspect you.

Quick Reply: What oil brand do you use? Dealer told me they will not warranty amsoil?