Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG tour pack help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 AM
jeff137
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SG tour pack help

I have a '11 street glide 103. I've added 4" CVO muffliers, ez-up center stand, and that's about it. Took the wife for her 1st ride today. She has VERY little riding experience. Got home and she said she felt like she was going to fall off the whole time, basically scared of sliding backwards off the bike. I figure a backrest or a tour pack would be the best solution. The backrest is going to give minimal support and the tour pack will turn it into a reclinder. Right?

If I want to add a tour pack, what all do I need? I'm thinking I'll need the mounting bracket, the tour pack, and the backrest pad for the tourpack. I also like the idea of the adjustable mounting hardware such as from Kuryakyn that can slide to accommodate a child or adult forward and back. Is it still just 1 bracket plus the tourpack?

How about if I got a tourpack with the speakers off eBay or here, what does it take to wire the speakers into the stock radio?

Do I have to remove the stock Street Glide antenna and use ones for the tour pack?

I've seen aftermarket tourpacks on eBay. Are they ok or just crap?

I've read that 09 and newer have different mounting. Is that because of the frame upgrade? I would assume the 08 and older brackets won't work with my bike, but what about the tourpacks? Can an 08 or older tourpack be used with a newer mounting bracket on my 2011 bike?

Finally, what about wiring in the tourpack? Are there brake lights, etc that need to be wired up? If so, is it plug and play with my bike already having the wires and just plug in the tour pack stuff?

Thanks for any advice you can provide, especially if you can point me to a nice vivid black tourpack set-up that's cheap and in good shape!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 AM
gixxerpick
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out latus-harley-davidson.com
just got a king t-p from them.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 AM
jeff137
Cruiser

Latus has them, but their deal is higher than my local dealer would be after my HOG discount. I'm hoping to find one used. Latus' website also just said refer to your dealer for info on additional components needed.

I'm thinking I need:
tour pak
mounting hardware (stock or moveable from Kuryakyn)
Backrest pad

There's a great one for sale in classified, but it is a great orange in perfect shape. I don't really want to paint it. Anyone else have advice for me on what is needed as far as parts go?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeff, a great way to go might be the Chopped Tour-Pak. It would look great on your Street Glide and with a detachable rack will easily come off and go on for when your wife wants to ride. I had one on my Road Glide and really enjoyed it.

You will need the detachable mounting hardware for your model, the Tour-Pak itself, detachable two-up rack, the backrest pad, and lock. I didn't mess with any wiring or lights, so the job was easier. Figure on about $1000 by the time you get it all gathered together.

It's an easy solution, albeit a little expensive. Another alternative would be the detachable mounting hardware and a passenger backrest and rack combination. Then supplement that with a bag of some sort to go on the rack for when you need the additional capacity.

These pics are from my '08 Road Glide, so the mounting points and rack will be a bit different for your newer model. But the Chopped Tour-Pak is the same.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM
jeff137
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply Pastor John. That chopped pack looks great on your bike!

You know, I've been regretting getting the street glide. I had buddies tell me to get the Ultra Limited and remove the pak for when I didn't want it, but I didn't listen. Now I find myself spending a lot more to build an Ultra. Perhaps I should sell the SG (only 1,300 miles on it) and buy the Ultra. I would probably lose my tail on that though.

I think I might just keep my eyes open for a used pak with a backrest already on it, then buy the docking hardware and the Kuryakyn sliding parts to mount it. Then later look at adding the light wires and speakers...

Unless I sell the SG and step up to the Ultra...

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of a tourpak why not just a passenger backrest. save some money buy it on ebay

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM
dooz28
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A less expensive (kinda) solution

The Tour Pak route is an expensive solution; maybe just go with what you mentioned in your original post. Buy a four-point mounting bracket, slap on a rider backrest, and see how often your wife really wants to ride with you after that. If it's "often", sell the SG and go with the Ultra. If it's "seldom", the four-point mounting bracket gives you a lot of backrest and luggage rack options for both one-up and two-up operation. (On my '09 EG Standard, I have a Chopped Tour Pak with solo mount and solo seat for long distance travel, and use the passenger backrest and luggage rack with an added passenger seat - with noTour Pak - for when my wife rides.)

Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,923 Likes on 21,309 Posts

If your wife has very little riding experience then that is probably the issue.
In time she will develop the skill to be able to control her body to stay on.

If on the other hand, you are looking for an excuse to get a tour pak then this might be it, but they are about $1,000.
I would give the wife a little more time before I popped for a T/P.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dooz28
Buy a four-point mounting bracket, slap on a rider backrest, and see how often your wife really wants to ride with you after that. If it's "often", sell the SG and go with the Ultra. If it's "seldom", the four-point mounting bracket gives you a lot of backrest and luggage rack options

If you enjoy having your wife along for the ride and want to encourage more 2-up riding then the Tour Pak is the only way to go. The difference in passenger comfort between a backrest and a full TP with the wrap around setup is day and night. At least that what my wife has said. Also, with regards to sound and lights, I think there are models out there that are available with or without so you don't necessarily have to go to the trouble of re-wiring. Your charging system may not be able to handle the added voltage draw either. Just something to consider before you buy either style.

BTW, I am on the fence as to whether to buy a new RGU or SG and do as you are considering with the detachable setup. If I were you though, since you have already the bike of your desires, spend the money on the TP and detachable hardware as it will be significantly less cost than the hit you will take moving to another bike.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
jeff137
Cruiser

She does have VERY little riding experience, but is also very fearful of riding. She had a friend that did indeed fall off the back of a bike thanks to an idiot rider gunning it on a sportbike from start and the poor girl got torn up bad as she hit the road. Anyway, combo of little experience and that = scared wife.

I thought about the backrest and I really like the looks of the new one from Kuryakyn that folds down to be a rider backrest or pops up to be the passenger backrest.

Does anyone on here have experience with this backrest?

I figured the tourpak would make her feel more secure as it provides a lot more support and is almost like a recliner as for comfort. When she's not riding it will be removed though. I just found out my local dealer has a used 2006 SG with a vivid black tour pak. I might try to work a deal with them to sell me the pack and parts and then sell the bike as a normal SG. They could probably get the same price for the bike and make a cool grand off the pak.

Quick Reply: SG tour pack help