Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I conquered my 07 heat demon

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How I conquered my 07 heat demon

Oh yeah, if you ever rode and 07 EFI twin cam (mine is an ultra classic, but the heat demon problem exists on all 07 twin cams), you know what I am talking about. Runs fine as long as its moving over 10 MPH, but a few stop lights, NYC stop and go traffic, etc, and your *** will be on fire. So I finally conquered my heat demon. NOW, it finally runs amazing. Great summer ahead of me.

a. oil cooler. noticed a big time difference, but the heat demon was still an unwanted pax.

b. Parade fan. definitely scares the heat demon off, but the demon will play peek a boo in between the time the heat sensor engages. Best bet, is to wire a relay to the accesory switch and manually power the fan on and off as soon as you hit stop and go traffic. And lucy, the default install blows hot air from left to right which puts hot in into you intake.....reverse the fan connections so that the air blows from right to left and you always have cool air into your motor.

c. 4" SE slip on mufflers. Yep. the engine can expell heat easier with this larger free flowing pipe. Heat demon started to get worried.

d. Stage I intake. Now were talking more air intake which carries away more heat. Heat demon started to pack his bags.

e. heat shields. These were a pain in the butt to install, and it only helps a bike in motion. The shield does work, but does't help much during stop and go traffic.

f. I took off the egg air cleaner cover. At a stop, the cup effect of the egg air cleaner was basically sucking in hot engine air. I pulled the cover and now at a stop, the bike has an easier time getting cool air. before the cover pull, at a stop, my cover would get hot becuase hot air was being sucked int. with the cover off, the face plate of the intake does not get hot at all at a stop. so I know the heat demon did not like that one either. I'll probally buy a filter sock for ain days, or might just keep my cover in a saddle bag for a while to make sure a light rain won't cause me air intake problems. I know a lot of folks go naked intake, so this one is not a first heard for many. Keep in mind, with the lowers on an ultra, the engine gets hot quck.

g. OK, now this one is not for the squeamish. We needed an easy way to richen up the fuel mixture. 14.7:1 makes for one hot low performing bike. A quick (30 minute) and cheap (6 bucks per pipe, you need two total) is to put an O2 Sensor extender in-between your O2 Sensor and your pipes. This was a dramatic difference and scared my heat demon off for good. Bike runs cooler, more power, better all around performer.

Had my bike for 2 years, wish I would have known about the O2 extenders back then.

Last edited by speakerfritz; 05-30-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
TexasGrad83
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. BTW, where did you get the O2 sensor extenders?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
2%er OG
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to good to be true. 12 bucks and I get my sperm production back? pontifacate please. Are you saying the extended o2 sensers are sampling higher/lower o2 levels?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

i think he had another thread on this earlier,it looks like on old spark plugg antifouler. it moves the sensor out a bit and changes the way it reads,kinds like a really inexpensive ied.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what Ive read is that they lean out the engine can someone clarify it lean or rich

Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
2%er OG
Advanced

I am willing to give it a try. Sure would save some work if someone knows the part # an were to order. Hopefully he who posted will check back.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IBHarley
what Ive read is that they lean out the engine can someone clarify it lean or rich
it would have to richen the mixture or it would be hotter

Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
donf610
Cruiser

are you saying I didn't need a pc3 with the extenders?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

yes, it results in a richer fuel mixture. The extenders reduce the exposed surface area of the sensor. I was going to make some from scratch, until I googled and found these. These have a compression washer. They do look like spark plug anti foulers, but the anti foulers I have seen won't work unless you drill out the hole a little. Theres a screen on the Harley O2 sensor that needs be able to pass thru the extender and into the exhaust. on my 07, the screen passes thru this particular extender with no problem. BTW, my bike is a 96, stock cams, no engine work. So if your bike is not stock, your results will vary from mine. I get smooth power thru full range and the bike runs way cooler. Becareful pulling the 02 sensors. disconnect the wires completely, and extend then before turning the o2 sensor or you will run the risk of damaging your cable.

I drive stop and go in NYC and we have heavey traffic. The heat demon used to kick my ***.

one more thing...if you take your bike in to get work done that results in a re-map...you will need to pull these out, otherwise, the remapping will put you back into heat mode....your tune will be adjusted to compensate for the effects of the extender.

Attached Thumbnails How I conquered my 07  heat demon-o2extender3_lrg-1.jpg  

Last edited by speakerfritz; 05-30-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM
2%er OG
Advanced

Running richer I know is going to cool things but what mileage would expect if I get 37-41 now? Never mind, it wouldn't matter if it worked I could remove them in the fall an if it didn't one trip to town . I guess after his demons were conquered no time to share, only time to ride.
probably what I would do.

Quick Reply: How I conquered my 07 heat demon