Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Road Glide Ultra 103 - Dawgggg!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Initially, I noticed the same coming from a 95" motor which seemed alot more powerful. The guy that tuned my motor said he believed the newer transmission was putting a bigger drag on the motor.

However the 103 really wakes up with just an exhaust change, A/C, tuner, & cams. As Dalton stated, 98hp & 108trq are easily achieved.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 AM
chefskeeter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
I have the 2011 ultra classic with the 103. No towing, but plenty of power for me.
Same here

Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 103" is quite capable. Dump the emmisions sh*t, let her breath with an SE air filter assembly, some pipes, and a tune and she will wake up.
Also I din't catch the miles but my Dyna loosened up, and came to life on its own at about the 4K mark, and letting her breath after that made some nice improvements.
When I traded it in recently it had 17K on it and I could pull the front end off the ground without much effort.
I realize a different animal, but, out of the wrapper they are so smogged down it is pathetic.
Good luck, and enjoy it.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep a new Stock 103 is a turd. My 883 sporty felt like it had more *****. After break in you'll feel better. It's suffocating now with all the hd emissions crap. My suggestion is don't go to Harley to wake it up. Why go to the source of the problem to fix the problem. Go to a good gear head who knows the new 103 engines. Many of them don't. There are certain quirks that need to be known to get the right combination.

I gotnmine with SE slip ons, a download from dealer and SE air cleaner. It's still sleepy. Get that head pipe off and get a full set of exhaust, cam, breather, tuner and a fat tune. Maybe even heads or a 107". Or all of the above. I think cams and heads will give you a lot more of what your looking for.

It's a big investment, so if you need to spend a few more grand to make it put a smile on your face, then do it.

Sorry you had a bad trip, that must have been tough. Don't be discouraged though, it's a sewing machine right now, but it can be a wild boar.

Last edited by jeffreyjames; 06-08-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went fullsac. Woke it up for about a grand including tts and map. Sounds and goes nicely.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
kgillard
2nd Gear

Hey guys, thanks abunch for all your comments. Your all pretty much right on with what the mechanic told me to do after asking me what I expected from it. This bike is only 3-weeks old and I have put about 4,600 miles on it. Not trying to make it a race car, just a good, strong, reliable tour bike.
Brings back to mind what my wife said during the trip. A truck pulled over to let us go by. I stayed behind. My wife said "why don't you pass?" I replied, "I can't!" HAHAHAHA.....
But, we leave on another mountain trip on June 23 in the Ozarks. That'll give me a chance to see the difference and I'll let ya'll know what the outcome is. Thanks again!!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgillard
Hey guys, just need some advice (besides arson). Just traded in my 2001 Road King 88ci (that had been upgraded to 95ci) on a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with 103ci. Took it from the flatlands of Louisiana to Colorado on recent trip - 3401.5 miles - with my wife and pulling a trailer. After getting to the hill country of Texas, all I could think about is "what a mistake I made...a $24,000 moped...NO power!
The 6th gear is useless...5th and 4th gears are almost as bad...and I had to drop to 2nd and 3rd gears in headwinds; and going up mountains of Colorado was like using a stick to push wet crap in the snow.
I was completey frustrated with the lack of power of this big engine as compared to my 95ci Road King (which I should have kept). I started looking for a good Honda Goldwing dealer for a trade, but I've been riding Harleys for many years and just couldn't make the switch.
Now the Harley dealer (Cowboy Harley of Beaumont, TX) wants to put a Screamin' Eagle Upgrade kit that includes pistons, 259 cams,race tuner, headers (getting rid of the catalytic converter), K&N air filter, and pipes that should give up to 108 lbs of torque and about 98 hp.
Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks abunch!
Spend some money & wake big boy up.Go order the SE120R & swap it out with your motor.Do the Heads,comp match a cam & pipe & away you go!!! Power problems solved!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just personal opinion....but throwing the 120r on is going to cost you at least 7K and probably more...not to mention you have a new bike, and if I am not mistaken (and I could be) your warranty is voided.

The 103, as many have already stated, with a stage II (cams, exhaust, high flow AC, tune, etc.) has more than enough power for what you are wanting to do.

Don't get me wrong...if you have lots of money you don't know what to do with, then put the 120 in there...I guess my only thought is that the 120 has only been around about a year....I would think waiting a bit to see how they fare in a bit longer time frame might not be a bad thought.

Again...just personal opinion.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
SBW Cycles
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll keep my 04 FLHT. 95 kit with true duals and PC. Couldn't be happier. Beats my buddy's 05 FLHTSE any day!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
kgillard
2nd Gear

Yeah, I'm not really considering changing the motor completely. Guess if it was older, I might consider it. If I can get around 100hp and 108+torque, that should do me just fine.