Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high idle 2008 street glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
tlab4x4
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation high idle 2008 street glide

New to HD Forum so lets see what happens. Recently my 08 Street Glide has started to increase its idle the more it warms up. Sitting in neutral i am at 2k RPM (nothing like cruise control),,,bike is fuel injected and has the stage one kit on it. In a attempt to not sounds like a crotch rocket i have to sit with the throttle forward dropping the RPMS to around 1k to 1200. any suggestions would be greatly welcomed...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Hmmmm, I think the 08's are throttle by wire ( not sure though) sounds to me like a throttle adjustment issue. especially since you can roll the throttle forward and it will drop. I have an 06 with cables, that can be adjusted easily.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone will chime in that has TBW experience.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
CurtisO
Tourer

If you do a search on the forum, there are threads about the high idle and a fix. The 08's are throttle by wire, sometimes when using the run/off switch and the bike may not have come to a good idle, the bike resets idle position. And you have a high idle situation. Good luck with it.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,803 Likes on 4,686 Posts

do a key on 30 sec key off 30 sec do this 4 times see what happens, really, it s a throttle reset might work and doesnt cost a dime right?

The following users liked this post:
williamfrog (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 Street when it first starts up has a high idle till it warms up. A lot of that may have to do with the power commander you have.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Reverend
Tourer

It's an 08 specific issue & a pain in the butt. Should have a fix downloaded by the dealership, but it still doesn't fully cure.

Glad to get rid of mine. Sorry.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
STLBagger
Advanced

This may be a bad suggestion but sometimes these problems are really simple. I have had the little star throttle lock turn and make my throttle stick at times. The little star lock is right underneath the throttle grip. I had it tighten up and make my streetglide idle high, but it was actually just a slightly stuck throttle that wasn't going all the way back into position. I took off that damn star piece. Something simple to check. Good Luck

Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Also do a search on cleaning your IAC and it could also be a bad TPS sensor. When my TPS went bad it would idle super high at start up and after a run on the freeway once I came to a stop it would die. When my IAC was dirty it would just idle high intermitenly. A shot of throttle body cleaner did the trick for that issue. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
DDeFendi
Intermediate
Default TBW High Idle

I experieced this problem on my 09 FLHTCU last fall... I found what was wrong and fixed it myself...

Before TBW there was an IAC (Idle Air Control) right behind the butterfly in the throttle body... In 2008, with the advent of Throttle By Wire the IAC was Replaced with a Manifold Temperature and Absolute Pressure Sensor...

My Stage 1 SE Air Clearner was coating that sensor with excess oil coming through the breathers (often caused by overfill of oil or a lot of full throttle accelerations)...

Remove Air Cleaner to expose the butterfly. Hold it open with an old wooden paint stirrer... Look behind the butterfly, about an inch... Get some MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor Clearner from any Auto Store.. Spray the sensor down good (I pushed a shop rag into the intake to catch any excess spray)...

If you have an air cleanr where you removed the Induction Module Bracket you can actually unplug and remove the sensor for better cleaning (use an offset wrench)...

That should do it...
Dennis in SC

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
fannin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Reverend
It's an 08 specific issue & a pain in the butt. Should have a fix downloaded by the dealership, but it still doesn't fully cure.

Glad to get rid of mine. Sorry.
Had this same problem, went to the dealership told them there was a download. They told me no just used the ignition reset. After repeating the same thing over and over for 15 minutes they finally looked it up on the computer and found the updated download. It seemed to solve my problem.

Quick Reply: high idle 2008 street glide