Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Gauge Problem

Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 AM
humpdebump
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge Problem

I tried a search but didn't find anything. The other day I was ridding and noticed that the gas gauge was at half a tank but when i rolled the throtle in gear the gas gauge would go down to a quarter or less. When I was at a stand still gas gauge went to normal and when I rolled throttle with clutch in it didn't move. Only jumps down when in gear and rolling throttle. I'm not sure if I'm losing power at all,it's one of those things where you go " was it always like this ". It's an 07 Roadglide, im going to Americade and just wanna make sure it's nothing serious, I called dealer and they said it might be resistor.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Dont know crap about your problem but have a great time at Lake George, Was there from Sunday til yesterday and all was good. Enjoy.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you roll on throttle the fuel in the tank sloshes to the back of the tank and away from the sensor so the gauge goes down???

Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The gas tank level is measured by a float inside the tank, part of a device that is connected electrically to the gas guage. It is mounted offset in one side of your tank. You may find that when going round bends the level will change, also when the bike is on the jiffy stand. When you sit on the bike and lift it upright it will change again, which is when it is at its most accurate.

If the level drops when parked on the jiffy, when compared with bike upright, you know the float is in the righthand side of the tank! If the reverse happens, the float is in the left. Hope that helps you decide if all is well!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
bigdogx
Cruiser
Default fuel

Mine has never worked right, on the way to work this morning the mr was at 83 miles ,gauge was on empty been on empty since yesterday with 120 miles left, i never go by gauge

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When my low fuel light comes on I have 3/10 of a gallon left.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

My gas gauge started acting funky a couple years ago, doing the same thing others had described over the years. Now I just keep it full, and ignore the gauge. I lived w/o a gauge for many years before, so will be OK w/o an accurate one now.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdogx
Mine has never worked right, on the way to work this morning the mr was at 83 miles ,gauge was on empty been on empty since yesterday with 120 miles left, i never go by gauge
The gauge on my '09 works pretty good but I have never trusted any gas gauge on any bike. I use the Tripometer and always have. Never failed me yet.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
dbinbc
Cruiser

You will get different readings depending on what the bike is doing, uphill, downhill, slowing down, speeding up etc. That said, the gauge processes the info from the unit in the tank and that processing can get out of whack if the gauge stops processing properly. Had mine replace under warrantee as I was getting all sorts of strange readings. But they are never accurate, the only thing any gas gauge tells you for sure it that you have a gas gauge.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
The gauge on my '09 works pretty good but I have never trusted any gas gauge on any bike. I use the Tripometer and always have. Never failed me yet.
Same here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Problem