Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering an RK...yet another: "What's the best way"

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Chicago Jeff
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering an RK...yet another: "What's the best way"

I'm 5'7" 160 lbs and want to loose an inch or two on my new scoot. I own an '05 Road King that has leather wrapped bags. I would buy the white Bros lowering kit but have read that it will not work on the RKC. Even though I own an RK not an RKC I believe the bags make the difference.
I would consider aftermarket shocks but have actually been kind of happy with the stock shocks on the bike.
I am also considering changing the seat even though it came with a Mustang seat (love it but it's kind of beat up).

Any suggestions to lower this bike and keep costs down?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Chicago Jeff
Intermediate

After reading some more it looks like maybe Progressive shocks might be the way to go for me. I'm just not sure if the 11.5" or 12" would be best.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

Is that a Road King? Or Road King Custom you've got? the bags look like a RK Custom, which I believe originally came with 12" shocks, not the 13" shocks of a regular Road King, or Road King Classic.

My Road King Classic came with 13" shocks, and I swapped them out for Progressive 940s (12"). I love the new lower height, and the ride is pretty darn good for a 12" shock. But, if that's a Road King Custom you've got, with original shocks, putting on 12" shocks won't change a thing.

JR

Old 06-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Chicago Jeff
Intermediate

It's a Custom. I actually didn't know that the stock shocks on it were 12". Hmmm... I may need to think about lowering the front and get another seat.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharp looking bike your have there by the way.

I'd measure the shocks you've got on there, eye to eye, before ordering new ones. Other options to lower the ride would be some taller boots, a lower seat, or lowering the front end. Lots of folks like the Progressive front end lowering kits.

JR

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Jeff
It's a Custom. I actually didn't know that the stock shocks on it were 12". Hmmm... I may need to think about lowering the front and get another seat.
I think you are riding a Classic with custom bags as the custom had a longer dash and did not have the triple headlights in that year, or for any years as far as I remember. The Classsic came with the 13 inch shocks and the Custom, as earlier stated came with the 12".

I may be wrong, but from what I remember, that is how it is.

A lower seat would be a great start.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Chicago Jeff
Intermediate

Hmmm...

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Thickraybans
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock shocks on my Custom are 12.5" eye to eye. I have a set of Progressive 430 11.5" that are going on this Saturday, and they measure a true 11.5".

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

Talk to the people at Mean City Cycle. They can do a custom fitting seat mod for you for much less than a new seat. I had them do mine and it was beautiful craftsmanship. I am 5'8" with a 29 inch inseam and had them drop the seat about 3/4". That combined with good boots witha 2" heel put me flat footed. They can drop the stock seat by as much as 1 1/2" and narrow it a bit in the thigh area. Much better than messing with the suspension.

Quick Reply: Lowering an RK...yet another: "What's the best way"