Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on the front fork air baffle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread...So the conclusion is that the front air baffle does help in the wind management and may or may not affect the cooling of the engine. Given that it's certainly worth a try since the cost of the baffle is not very much.

Louie

Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
hogrider09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont notice, I still get buffeting, it looks good on. I just ride.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing the baffle made a noticeable difference with buffeting. Didn't notice any difference with oil temps though.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't claim to be a super tuner but I have ridden the BRP in that part of NC/TN and it boasts some of the highest elevations on the PKWY (6K ft +). I was on a 79 Shovel Head with an SU carb and could barely make it up some of the grades with me and the OL on the bike. I would bet your problem was partially from the heat but more than likely altitude that your stock MAP sensor could not keep up with. I got arround my problems the same way you did.
GM makes MAP sensors for engines that are constantly run at these high altitudes (mostly marine) but you would not want one for occasional use as they run too rich when you come back to lower levels.
I will be installing one of these deflectors soon as I have the beard over the eyes problem on an 07 UC.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
I will be installing one of these deflectors soon as I have the beard over the eyes problem on an 07 UC.
I don't think you will be happy, all the deflector really did for me was up the speed where the buffeting get uncomfortable by about 5 mph. While I've not installed them yet, I've read here many times that the fork deflectors that mount on the side of each fork make the biggest difference. The problem for me is that they are UGLY for a SG. Still, I am getting a pair for rides that are longer than a day.

Beary

Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
It won't make a difference with the beard flying up. I have that problem and I have the baffle.

Originally Posted by beary
I've read here many times that the fork deflectors that mount on the side of each fork make the biggest difference.
They do help with the beard flying up, as long as you keep your feet on the floorboards. If you ride with your feet on highway pegs, they don't. All the wind goes up yours legs, then up your body, blowing the beard straight up.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
d7dun1010
Novice

I just put the H-D Wind Deflectors on my 2011 RCK and there is a great difference in the comfort of the ride. Works great!

What is the part # for that baffle, please? I might just try that also?

Thank you!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I will also say that windshields make a difference as well. I went from a normal 8 inch WS to a 8 inch LRS Ultra WS and the buffet moved forward about 2 inches. The LRS Ultra curves forward towards the top giving it kind of a duck bill shape. Windshields are a more expensive way to experiment with buffeting, but I could see how it would have an affect with you bearded fellows.

Beary

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I went from a normal 8 inch WS to a 8 inch LRS Ultra WS and the buffet moved forward about 2 inches.
I made the same change, and couldn't notice any difference. Funny how some things help others, but not everyone.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
tumorhuntr
Advanced

put a baffle on about 1 month ago. does help me with wind. no problems with heat and thats running in central fl.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the front fork air baffle