Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator replaced now new problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Compensator replaced now new problem.

I just had the SE compensator installed in my 08 FLHX, under warranty. Now I have a new problem? 500 miles after replacement I started to get a loud grinding sound coming from somewhere "around" the compensator area only when I give the throttle a "blip" on decel. I took it to the dealer for an inspection. I was told that the cush drive is worn out and needs to be replaced, and the sound I was hearing was because of the "slack" in the rear wheel. The service tech showed me that when the bike was sitting on the lift you can grab the rear pulley and rotate it forward and back about a 1/4" of free play. Of course they have to order the parts and was told it would be fine to drive, just dont "blip" the throttle. This kinda worries me should I be concerned ? Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

So are you blipping the throttle with the clutch out? If so that probably explains why it is worn out. If you are blipping the throttle with the clutch in then what affect would that have on the drive line? Seems kinda strange.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
I just had the SE compensator installed in my 08 FLHX, under warranty. Now I have a new problem? 500 miles after replacement I started to get a loud grinding sound coming from somewhere "around" the compensator area only when I give the throttle a "blip" on decel. I took it to the dealer for an inspection. I was told that the cush drive is worn out and needs to be replaced, and the sound I was hearing was because of the "slack" in the rear wheel. The service tech showed me that when the bike was sitting on the lift you can grab the rear pulley and rotate it forward and back about a 1/4" of free play. Of course they have to order the parts and was told it would be fine to drive, just dont "blip" the throttle. This kinda worries me should I be concerned ? Any thoughts?
Aren't those just the rubber pads behind the pulley? It that is the case, then that is not a major repair.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain

I should make it more clear, if I decel , then accel hard, at that point is when I hear almost a lot of slack being taken up inside the primary an a loud grinding noise. Guys beside me can hear it.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you take it really easy until it's fixed.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
1mrbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my rear wheel off waiting on a new set of tires. ('08 RG with 25,000+ miles) I also have replaced the compensator w/SE version. I have no grinding noise, and there is no play in the pulley/hub assembly where the rubber cushions are. My .02, it is not the rear wheel. Have they taken the primary cover off and checked ? Who installed the comp.? Good luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like your chain maybe hitting inside the case, better take it easy till it's fixed.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
Sounds like your chain maybe hitting inside the case, better take it easy till it's fixed.
If you are concerned that you have a loose primary chain, here is an easy way to check. Pull your left passenger footboard off, then make sure the bike is sitting as level as possible. Remove your derby cover (the big round plate on the primary, with 5 screws). Use a flashlight and look at the top of the chain. You have to do this at an angle looking to the left inside the hole. Once you see the chain, using a long thin screwdriver, rod, whatever, flip the chain up and down. If it has no more than approximately 1" slack then its ok. If it is really floppy, like it can hit or nearly hit the top of the housing, then possibly the automatic adjuster is not working right.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the play is related to the compensator work. you have an 08 so you probably do not have much time left on your warranty. I would leave it in the shop and let them do the work correctly.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

How many miles on the bike? How many "blips"?

Quick Reply: Compensator replaced now new problem.