Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Hang Around
Default Saddlebag inserts change size????

Hey all. I'm a new owner of a 2008 HD Electra Glide FLHTP. I've been looking around at saddlebag inserts to replace the faded "POLICE" logo that was remvoed by the previous PD. I can't spend tons of money and am looking for something simple to peal and stick for now.

The question/problem that I am running into is that I've heard that the saddlebag inserts were changed from 2007 to 2008. Meaning that there are "old" style before 2007 and "new" style starting in 2008.

I've looked and I can't see the difference so if there is any it must be in the size because shape still looks the same to me. My local HD guy can't seem to tell me either way... jsut wants to sell me something - whcih I can't buy his anyway as I don't have that kinda cash - these on line sellers say that there is and some say there isn't.

Anyone know the truth behind this? I was told the "POLICE" inserts are part number 1993 and can be used from 1993-2011 - I can paint them black if this is the case just to fill the space. Please let me know - be kind to the new guy.... after all I just upgraded from a kawasaki - uggg shouldn't have said that!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default homemade inserts

I cut plastic in the same shape as the recessed area, painted them a matching off-white, installed them using 2 sided automotive trim tape and then relocated the saddlebag reflectors on the inserts. Check my signature pics to see what I'm trying to describe. Cost - $0. Just a bit of time and on-hand shop supplies.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default cop bag hinges

PS The hinges on the bags are ugly, but can be easily replaced with the premium tour-pak hinges. A huge improvement!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Road Master

Look in my sig pic. You can see the inserts I have. They are turned off in that pic. With the accessory plug I turn them on and they are LED red. Pretty nice for around 80 bucks. They stick in with 3m heavy duty double stick.

2008 FLHTP
Woods Prowler Tw6-6
Stage 1 AC
T-Max Tuner
Vance & Hines Propipe 2-1
"De oppresso liber"
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

I installed some cheap plastic inserts with double-stick tape... got them off ebay. Yep, they are cheap, but look fine... I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this aspect. You could go to a local sign shop, and get them to cut some plastic to fit.

You are right, in that the hole is a different size on the 2008 and up... I never could find a set that was a perfect fit... basically the older model style is a little shorter, so it won't fill the hole completely on the front facing end...

2008 FLHTP - 103 ci, 6-Speed, ABS, Fullsac true dual kit, Rush 2.0 Slip-ons
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Here is a close up of my inserts... you can see how the size of the insert does not completely fill the hole, or follow the exact contour of the angle towards the front:

Click the image to open in full size.

2008 FLHTP - 103 ci, 6-Speed, ABS, Fullsac true dual kit, Rush 2.0 Slip-ons

Last edited by rushbass; 06-26-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

P