Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will i notice the difference in an 09' RK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
BigDevil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will i notice the difference in an 09' RK?

Ok, well i know i am going to get a mix of answers here, but here goes anyway. I am currently in Iraq, and will be heading home in about 2 months. Before you thank me, I am not active military, i am DOD, so i work for the real heros of our country.

Anyhow, back to the subject matter. I plan on buying my first Harley shortly after i get home in August. I have thrown around a few different ideas. First i priced a brand new 2012 RK, and RKC here on base. Not bad pricing. The standard would have been $18,XXX + taxes when i got home, and the RKC would have been $20,XXX. Unfortunately above my budget.

I originally thought if i went older, i would definitely look for an 02', possibly bored to a 95", maybe cammed, etc. Then i got thinking that i would like newer, and should go with the 07'. The 08' just has the brakes, and bigger fuel tank, not really worth the extra i would pay for it IMO. Now with all the hype i read on the 09' i am wondering if i should try to swing it if i could.

My budget, or how much i would like to spend is about $13,000. I can swing more, but my intentions are to put a few thousand down, fianance for 4 years, with a payment around $200/mth. So, i think i can get an 07' for around that with some bargin shopping. The 09' might be harder to get around that price. I will be looking around the end of August, and if i wait until Sept, which i would be willing to do to get a better deal, i think i might be able to find the 09' in my price range. I know the 12's are coming out.

So, bottom line, will i, as someone who has only ridden approx. 1500-2000 miles ever, notice a significant difference in the handling of the 09?

Last edited by BigDevil; 06-16-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The '09 definitely has some positive improvements in the ride due to the frame re-design, Brembo brakes, etc.

Prior to '07 you have 5 speed trans v 6 speed trans in the newer models.

If you can swing the '09 I'd try for it as there are some nice features that appear in that year and newer.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I don't think you will miss what you never had. That being said, I think the the 09 + touring frame is hands down better than the pre 09 bikes. My brother has an 03 RKC and I have an 11 Limited. You couldn't give me the 03.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

If it is a touring model you want I might suggest that you look at a late 90's Evo engine model, you'd save quite a bit and be into it for less if it wasn't for you and you decided to get out of it.

You could be in a position to buy a bike outright for cash, get a carbed model and have nice simple to maintain bike.

A bike like that would be less than 1/2 a newer model, and lots of great used bikes are out there- start with the cycle trader online to get a feel for what is available and market prices, craigslist ( for your 'home" area is also good).

Mike

Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from a 2002 to a 2011 RK. Not one things stands out as a huge improvement, but all the many improvements over the years as a whole make for a better bike all around. I recommend a 2009 if you can swing it.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO question you will notice the difference.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said, there are many improvements in the 09's and up. But there are also many hundreds of thousands of riders out there on older touring bikes that are perfectly happy.

You will probably pay @ 17K or more for an 09 RKC in good condition. If you add $1000 for TTL and other misc, that leaves you with 18K. If you put 4K down, and finance the rest at 6% (assuming you have good credit and access to a credit union), for 48 months, you end up with a payment of $330.

That sounds like it's over you budget, so you either need to increase your down payment, or get a cheaper bike.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
BigDevil
Intermediate
Default Will probably try to go new as i can

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
As others have said, there are many improvements in the 09's and up. But there are also many hundreds of thousands of riders out there on older touring bikes that are perfectly happy.

You will probably pay @ 17K or more for an 09 RKC in good condition. If you add $1000 for TTL and other misc, that leaves you with 18K. If you put 4K down, and finance the rest at 6% (assuming you have good credit and access to a credit union), for 48 months, you end up with a payment of $330.

That sounds like it's over you budget, so you either need to increase your down payment, or get a cheaper bike.
Yeah, well i agree to a point. I have seen 09's a little cheaper than that this past spring. Not now because it's prime season. Geez, if i was going to pay $18K for an 09', i would just buy the 12' for $18K and some change here on base. Most likely i will go with an 07' if i find one for the right price. My credit union is currently offering 3.49% for up to 5 years, and my credit is prefect.

As for the comment about an Evo model, you definitely have a good point there. However i am going to rent a RK, and maybe a Heritage as well to make sure i like what i am buying. They usually have used pre-09's for sale at that dealership that rents them, so i am also going to ask to test ride one. I have been waiting years to buy a Harley, and once i buy this one, I plan on having it for quite a while, until i can afford something newer. That's even if i want anything newer. That's why i was thinking if i could swing the 09', it might be in my best interst to do so since i plan on holding onto this bike for a while.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Not Sure What Year

I'm not sure what year it was but if you can buy the King with a 6 speed transmission! That you will notice a HUGE difference in!!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master

Some of these posts make me wonder how guys rode a Harley before 2009.

My advice (which isn't worth much) is come up with a price you can afford and don't go over it. If you do, the $$$$ stress will have you regretting that bike in no time.

Last year I bought a fuel injected 04 RK Custom. The bike had 2800 miles on it and well over 5k in upgrades. It had just about everything I could have ever wanted on a bike. I bought the bike for $10,500 total. It was paid off in a couple of months. No $$$ stress and a very enjoyable ride.

I simply couldn't afford a 2010 or 2011 bike, but I sure do love the one I have. As I was saying, adhere to your budget and then just shop for a steal. Heck you might even find an 09 in that range.

Quick Reply: Will i notice the difference in an 09' RK?