Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Noise after SE Comp installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary Noise after SE Comp installation

09 Streetglide with 6000 miles. Had knock noise intermittent in primary. Got the Se comp upgrade done at dealer. After a couple small rides, got a loud knock coming from primary it sounds like. I removed outer primary and all appears well by looking..
Any ideas? When it does knock, in neutral idleing, you can pull in clutch and it will mostly go away...?? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't ask us.... take it back to the dealer and have them make it right... you paid them. Make them fix it.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
johnd5412
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similiar issue with mine. I installed the SE comp 3 days ago and originally had the knock and figured it was chain slap from the auto tensioner not fully engaged so i ran it up high in first and quickly brought it back down with the rear brake and that seemed to take away the slap/knock. I now have a chirp while it is in neutral and I assume that is from the outher sprocket on the compensator rubbing agains the inner spline....pls post what the dealer tells you as it may or may not be consistent with my thoughts.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Don't ask us.... take it back to the dealer and have them make it right... you paid them. Make them fix it.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Gee, thanks to those with the advice to take it back to the dealer....
Thats what I was doing, I was just wanting to get some insight and knowledge before I went back..

As it turns out, dealer will not do anything. I took it on the first of june ..like the 7th...my warranty was to expire on June 10. Noise in primary. They said they could tell it was comp and it would be warrantied. I paid the difference and got the SE comp put in.

Noisy riding home. Was told it was chaioning auto tightening. Rode a few miles with wife a week or so later..light noise but noticeable. Came and went. Rode Saturday...very noisy at times, other times not. Seems when it is doing it, pull in clutch, goes away, let out, its there.

So, go in to dealer today. They said since order is closed out, and I am out of warranty, cany do anything under warranty. I said" It was making noise when I brought it in".. they said it WAs the comp, they noticed it, and fixed it...but now it may be inner primary bearings or a main trans bearing? The trans bearing needs gearset removed? Like 5 hours labor?

Anyway, IF i find out the cause, I will let you know. May tear into it myself or pay an Indy I guess...

Starting to lose faith in newer Harleys and junk components...

Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM
RayBoy
Cruiser

How does the company stay in business with service like that? Replaced your comp without checking the "may bes". Just amazing...

Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrudicel
Gee, thanks to those with the advice to take it back to the dealer....
Thats what I was doing, I was just wanting to get some insight and knowledge before I went back..

As it turns out, dealer will not do anything. I took it on the first of june ..like the 7th...my warranty was to expire on June 10. Noise in primary. They said they could tell it was comp and it would be warrantied. I paid the difference and got the SE comp put in.

Noisy riding home. Was told it was chaioning auto tightening. Rode a few miles with wife a week or so later..light noise but noticeable. Came and went. Rode Saturday...very noisy at times, other times not. Seems when it is doing it, pull in clutch, goes away, let out, its there.

So, go in to dealer today. They said since order is closed out, and I am out of warranty, cany do anything under warranty. I said" It was making noise when I brought it in".. they said it WAs the comp, they noticed it, and fixed it...but now it may be inner primary bearings or a main trans bearing? The trans bearing needs gearset removed? Like 5 hours labor?

Anyway, IF i find out the cause, I will let you know. May tear into it myself or pay an Indy I guess...

Starting to lose faith in newer Harleys and junk components...

They can't "close out" an ongoing issue. If you were under warranty when you first took it in, the issue is grandfathered in.

Go back with that knowledge..... and push the point politely ....... Have someone with a cell phone stand behind you, and get it on video.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Try putting the bike in gear, hold front brake to lock front wheel and let clutch out a couple times to stall. Mine did the same thing and thats how I took slack out of chain. Worked on the two bikes I installed Se comps on.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Thanks for the input guys.. Got my primary cover off now, chain slack is not an issue. I also called Harley.. They said that since they diagnosed it as the comp, and replaced it...and NOW it appears to be something else, its the dealers discretion.. Out of warranty on 6-7-2011 ..lol
Will talk nicely to dealer tomorrow and see what else I can do. Just frustrating. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

that blows. after reading threads like this I'm glad I got the 5 yr ESP

Quick Reply: Primary Noise after SE Comp installation