Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Valve Train on NEW 103"

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Old Bugger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Valve Train on NEW 103"

My less that 3500 mile 2011 Ultra Limited started sounding noticeably louder, after the 1000 mile service, in the upper engine/rocker box area when riding at 2500 rpm and above. I was not too alarmed until I noticed a few seconds of loud hammering when the engine was restarted after shutting the bike off for a 1/2 hour or so. This hammering does not happen when the engine is started cold, like after sitting overnight. The service manager heard the hammering, said it was not normal and that the tappets may be be bleeding down. That is exactly what it sounds like to me too. Except not when it is first started cold. He stated that these tappets are the same ones used in Sportsters and have been replaced by a different part#. If true, and the dealer knows about this issue, So does the Motor company!!! Why no Recall before the thing wears out or comes apart on some God Forsaken stretch of Highway?? The bike is in the shop today. Waiting to hear what they find.

Last edited by Old Bugger; 06-27-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Keep us informed. I have the same bike with 600 miles. Have not noticed anything abnormal yet. Not unlike the Mo CO to not issue a recall. Seems that they would rather have the issue resolved on a one on one basis than admit they did something wrong.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we call this the crank bang issue. some folks report the problem resolved after going to high CCA batteries. Others report the problem solved by replace the compensator. I have noticed that the crank bang issue happens more when using 20W50 as opposed to 10W40 on my bike.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
we call this the crank bang issue. some folks report the problem resolved after going to high CCA batteries. Others report the problem solved by replace the compensator. I have noticed that the crank bang issue happens more when using 20W50 as opposed to 10W40 on my bike.
re: compensator, but all 2011 touring bikes have the se compensator stock

Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

he has a 2011 FLHTK it has the S/E compensator, no bang there.

Mark

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Old Bugger
Novice

Sorry Speakerfritz. this issue has nothing to do with the Compensator or Battery. Both noises emanate way after the engine is running. some friends I know have the Crank Bang problem. Mine ain't it, but thanks anyway for your input.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Swing and a miss...

Not to de-rail this thread, but you won't use "automotive" 20W50, but you will or have used "motorcycle" 10W40 (saw that in the very long sig statement you had earlier but thought I mis-read it)? I'm not sure if it's possible, but try to help me understand that one.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bugger
My less that 3500 mile 2011 Ultra Limited started sounding noticeably louder, after the 1000 mile service, in the upper engine/rocker box area when riding at 2500 rpm and above. I was not too alarmed until I noticed a few seconds of loud hammering when the engine was restarted after shutting the bike off for a 1/2 hour or so. This hammering does not happen when the engine is started cold, like after sitting overnight. The service manager heard the hammering, said it was not normal and that the tappets may be be bleeding down. That is exactly what it sounds like to me too. Except not when it is first started cold. He stated that these tappets are the same ones used in Sportsters and have been replaced by a different part#. If true, and the dealer knows about this issue, So does the Motor company!!! Why no Recall before the thing wears out or comes apart on some God Forsaken stretch of Highway?? The bike is in the shop today. Waiting to hear what they find.

You say it got louder after the 1000 mile service........ SYN-3 by any chance? Syn-3 is like water compared to what came in your bike from the factory, and is therefore noisier. In my experience Mobile-1 runs a little quieter, and a little cooler.

Sportster tappets are not a bad thing. Sportsters run at higher RPMs.... so those tappets will handle touring RPMs with ease.

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-27-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
BRW
Tourer

08 Ultra - 103 same bang'n @ 950 miles took it in ( had to bitch alittle) they took it apart & fond the cam gear bolts had came loose. Torqued them down no more problem 21000 miles now.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what they find at the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noisy Valve Train on NEW 103"