Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a little spill today

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Took a little spill today

On the way home from work. Just started raining. Hit one of those big arrows in the road while braking at an intersection. Everything you always read about. First time down. Man, it happens fast. Wasn't going fast. Bike went all the way over and slid about 20 feet. Damage to the edge of the outer fairing, left side grip and lever, crash bar and highway peg. Floorboard bracket is bent in a little. Left saddlebag and latch look the worst, but it's really not too bad.

Me: My head hit pretty hard. Probably would have been really bad with no helmet. Hip is a little sore. Worst thing is a pretty good scrape on my left elbow.

An ambulance with 3 EMTs pulled up as soon as I got up. Great timing. God is good. Blocked traffic, helped me stand the bike up, and bandaged up my elbow. Thankful for them.

All in all - I'm home and not in the hospital. Bike isn't bad, so I was able to ride it home. Could have been much worse.

Now we'll see how long it takes to get her back in like-new condition.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good you were able to ride home. Angels watching over you!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
Just started raining.
Killer words - just started raining - quite possibly the worst time to be riding. I'm glad to hear you're OK! Sh** does happen quickly and usually when least expected. We could all learn a lesson here! I hope that all remains well and you get back to "like new" soon. (you & the bike)

Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are okay! The bike will be good as new in no time...I agree, God is GOOD...ALL THE TIME!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Thankful you are okay. Could have been so much worse. I've almost went down several times on those dang painted stripes, arrows, etc. They are super slick.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thankful that you are OK. I think helmets are always a good idea....Quick question - would anti-lock brakes have helped?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to hear you didn't get hurt bad and the bike isn't too badly damaged. Rain, especially when it first starts after a dry spell, really puckers me up.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Thankful you are okay. Could have been so much worse. I've almost went down several times on those dang painted stripes, arrows, etc. They are super slick.
I've been told that the street paint has Teflon in it for longevity. Add a little oil and water and S##T! I never brake on it and try not to lean on it. Don't care how long it's been raining.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad to hear you walked away. Bikes can be repaired and it just gave you an excuse to do those mods you've been thinknig about.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

As long as you're ok that's all that matters. Bikes are replaceable...you're not. I am however glad that the bike wasn't too badly damaged. I hope she gets back in stellar condition soon. God was watching you as he has me for years (10 years riding, one incident & didn't even go down)

Quick Reply: Took a little spill today