Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons vs. full exhaust for 2011 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Light Fighter
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip ons vs. full exhaust for 2011 Street Glide

I recently purchased a 2011 Street Glide with the 103 power pack and am trying to decide between slip ons or a full exhaust. I had a 2007 Softail Custom with V&H Big Shots and loved it, but am looking into slip ons to hopefully save money But at the same time I don't want to waste the money on slip ons if I will be replacing them down the road with a full exhaust because I'm not happy with them.

I'm not looking so much at boosting performance but more for sound (the stock pipes just down sound right after having the big shots on my softail). Was told the stock headers on HD was fine for slip ons and to save my money by not going the route of a full exhaust system.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try both. I had Rinehart slip ons when I bought my SG. Then I went with dresser duals and used the same slip ons. They sound good on the stock header, but sound even better on the true duals.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
KACook
Advanced

I am goung with the full system from FuelMoto. The reason for me is to get rid of the HEAT from the catalist that is located near your right foot. FuelMoto says it it will drop about from 700 to 350 degres at the point where the cat is located.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
TCannon22
Tourer

Went the slip on route on my 2011 SG with the same 103. You won't get the sound you want with just the slip-ons but it will sound better than stock. Then you can save up, by a new head pipe, a tuner, and some sort of Stage 1 A/C and re-use the slip ons you already have.
At least thats the plan for me.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

With slip-ons only, you still have the CAT. As suggested above, do slip-ons now and add a open exhaust later.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think the stock mufflers sound pretty good after removing the catalytic converter. Plus using the stock head pipe will save you around $450.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A true dual system is probably the sound you're after with slipons of your choice. Eliminates the cat and frees up the bike to breath, in-turn will cause you to need a Stage 1 AC upgrade and a tune/tuner.

Slip-ons will improve sound, will not make it run cooler on the leg, and will not require any other modifications.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Thet
Tourer

I went with the Jackpot 4" dyno tuned slip-ons, gutted the stock pipe so it no longer has a CAT, just installed a FM A/C and PCV. Bike runs great and sounds even better! Still a bit of tweaking the map that came preloaded, but I have a 4day weekend this coming weekend. Should be fun! Oh, and if you're just going exhaust, do the cat, see how you like it, then go for some slip-ons. I did em both at the same time and my bike ran wayyy too lean. Hence the new A/C and PCV.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Light Fighter
Stage II

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to save up some money and just do a complete exhaust and kill two birds with one stone....get rid of some of the heat and get a good sound.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Light Fighter
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to save up some money and just do a complete exhaust and kill two birds with one stone....get rid of some of the heat and get a good sound.
+1 Couldn't have said that better myself! Save your money for the full stage 1. You will be very happy.

Quick Reply: Slip ons vs. full exhaust for 2011 Street Glide