Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED's - HID's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 AM
JetRanger
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool LED's - HID's

Greetings....looking to change the stock lights on my 09 Ultra. Turn signals, tail light,and fender tips LED's, but, what is the opinion about HID or LED for the headlight and passing lights?

Thanks,
Jet

Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

I would think LED for the headlight and passing lights, mounting and wiring three ballasts might be tough to fit. HID ballasts can also cause radio interference, they do in my GM truck with all 4 on. besides, HID bulbs need to be in a projector style housing to really work the way they should and not blind oncoming traffic in the dark.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 AM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

truck-lite phase 7 light combo. best upgrade. i can see better than i can in my new car at night

Old 10-14-2014, 02:42 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Love my Truck-Lite and custom Dynamics Turn signals!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Another truck light here

Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

My experience with HID's was they shined bright but didn't shine bright down the road.

Here two before and after.

Attached Thumbnails LED's - HID's-led-s-front.jpg   LED's - HID's-tl-p7-high-beam.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Love my Truck-Lite and custom Dynamics Turn signals!

So do I. I did the Truck Lite phase 7 and custom dynamics front dynamic rings running/turn, rear brake/running/turn, antenna hole lights and the triple light on the bottom of the rear fender on my Street Glide. I love the look and can be seen better. the only thing is I do run during the daytime with the brights on to be better seen from a side angle...... good luck Man.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how much coin you want to drop. Harley's daymaker reflector style (non projector style) is just like the truck lite but has more LED's to prevent the weird V light pattern of the truck lite. Also some people complained the truck light doesn't look like its on from some angles, making you less visible to drivers. either are lightyears better than stock.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:08 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

One thing I will say is I have HIDs in my Roadglide and in mid day sunlight my son was riding it behind me and I was being blinded by the light. It helps in letting you be seen.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
One thing I will say is I have HIDs in my Roadglide and in mid day sunlight my son was riding it behind me and I was being blinded by the light. It helps in letting you be seen.
I'm thinking of putting an HID kit in my Ultra just for that reason, I know they scatter light like crazy in a reflective housing and would work great for that purpose. had a few bad experiences night riding and avoid it at all costs nowadays. moose and deer are horrible up here during the 5 months of riding season we have, only saving grace is almost 18 hrs of daylight in June.

Quick Reply: LED's - HID's